catching chickens

Toucan

A friend is leaving France for a while and has given us his chickens, a cock and two adult females, one with four little ones. The run is ready and a small fox proof barn. Our French neighbours are all coming round for a drink to welcome the flock and check them out. BUT our friend cannot catch them! We are going round tomorrow evening to try and help him. They end up in a tree at night. They were even given rice soaked in pastis this afternoon (not my idea) to make things easier. Any hints from the experts out there? This posting isnt a joke, we have to catch them soon.

Jane

Wheat soaked in rum is alleged to work on pheasants.

Seriously though, where do they roost at night ? Suggest that if necessary you divert a small child from chimney sweeping duties and send him/her up into the trees with a sack. Though the mum and babies will be at ground level.

John not Di

We have a well behaved flock of regular hens who allow us to catch them, pick them up, etc. without any problems BUT we also purchased 3 bantams and they are totally anti-social and roost in the apple tree! The only time we can catch them with ease is when they are broody and appear glued to the nest! Our solution for when we have had to catch one is to use a large landing net on a pole, designed for fish! If you can reach them from a ladder when they are roosting at night they are much more docile after dusk, we have had some success moving them this way. Good luck - but keep them confined when you get them home or you'll have the same problem!

John and Angie Moore (17)

I have in my aviaries here in France 2 Hawks and 2 Falcons either of which will catch the chickens !! But i suppose you want them alive so you might well pass on my offer.......

Other than that i would not have a clue.....you could always stand at the bottom of the tree and shout PAXO STUFFING it might get them out the tree at the very least.

Sorry to make light of the situation !

Good luck

Paul

either, as suggested below wait for them to roost - they will be very easy to simply pick up, or for a bit more sport borrow or buy a large net. We have one designed for hens, geese etc and it makes light work or catching chickens. Even managed to catch a peacock in flight a few days ago, which impressed the kids no end.

regs

Richard

Thanks for all the suggestions. We went to the house this evening hoping to catch them as they settled down for the night. The mother with the chicks was well hidden and no one could find her. The cock and the other hen were up in the tree - three stories up! He just laughed at us from up there. After four days of driving over to the house we have given up, it will be cheaper to get some from the market! What I didnt realise when we started all this, is that they have been fending for themselves for quite a few months already.

Will let everyone know when we do get some market hens, if your interested.

Jane

Just to let you know - the chickens have been caught! Apart from two of the chicks that dissappeared altogether. It took half a bottle of pastis and boiled rice so they couldnt get up the tree. At the moment they are in the barn awaiting clipping. This is a new venture for us and I can see hours of fun and heartace ahead. But the next few eggs should be tasty!

Jane