Moles

Amsurtees

I have just cleared a patch of land that was full of nettles etc.to plant a vegetable garden. The surrounding land is full of mole hills. Having planted my vegetable seeds and seeing them grow rapidly, I then had the unexpected shock of seeing mole hills appear in my rows of seedlings, dislodging and killing them. I have looked in the gardening shops for ways to discourage moles but only found ways for smoking them out with SO2 gas and cautions to keep animals away from the area for several hours afterwards.I have dogs and anyway dont want to caus undue suffering to the moles. Is there a way of persuading these moles to rehome without resorting to smoking them out? Anne

The moles have destroyed my lawn and now have found that the double dug veg patch is much easier to come up in than the grass - and I'm hopping mad!
Someone asked me today if moles are as cute as they look in kids books. No Comment.

Anyone out there with a speedy solution before everything gets ruined?

Kas33

I was only thinking yesterday that this topic hadn't come up for a while. As has been mentioned it has been much discussed on the Forum but I always go by the advice I heard on Gardeners' Question Time, that there is nothing that is effective. For reasons that are mysterious we have no moles on our 'lawn' at present and we had only a few hills last year. I think it may be correct that they prefer nice soft soil and the ground is rather hard and dry at the moment. Not a lot of help on a newly planted veg patch though.

Liz (29)

Haven't tried it because we find the cartouches effective but a friend swears that firelighters pushed down into the run will encourage the moles to move elsewhere. Probably to somewhere else that you don't want them but it's worth a try.

Moles, I hate them.

We have Mole bin Laden living with all the other terrorists in our garden. I have tried just about everything to get ride of them from gassing trough to shooting the buggers. I even tried explosives but ended up in hospital (fuse to short). Short of an A bomb I think you are out of luck. I have tried all the approved methods, wine bottles (empty of course, drunk for a week trying to get enough) placed in soil with top showing so wind blows across making a noise, sonic poles, gas, you name it Ive tried it.

If you find a system that works 110% let me know.

Yours desperately

Chris

http://www.chambresdhote.com

All quiet on the mole front here. They should be tunneling to Australia searching for worms. It is spring and autumn when the worms come to the top of the soil that the moles are the most visibly active. Or so I have been told.

In praise of the cats, they have been making an effort and jumping on the molehills......they do something else too which is probably why the moles caught the bus down to Quillan.

Have you seen any with little black and white flags? Or signs saying "Bretagne pour le Bretons"? If so, they used to live here.