Making waste land into grassland

Jhc

Hi - I would be grateful for any ideas. We have recently cleared away about 20 years growth of brambles from two thirds of an acre, with the help of a mini digger, which was a fantastic help, but mainly took away the top growth rather than the roots. I am carefully digging out all the bramble roots in 2 smallish areas that I want for veg, - the remaining two thirds of an acre I really want as grass, with the occasional fruit trees / shrubs.
We are trying to kill the bramble new growth with SBK weed killer (unless anyone knows of anything stronger???) - but what do I do then - I really can't face digging out roots over such a big area. Should I try rotavating it in the autumn and then putting grass seed down?? Or could I just try raking it in the Autumn (it's rock hard at the moment) and then sprinkiling grass seed, relying on cutting the bramble tops off when we mow??? I am sure this is a common problem with neglected properties and land and I would love to know what others did.
Many thanks. Julie

Yes, regular mowing gets rid of brambles and most everything; make sure you dig them out for a good metre around the fruit trees though and ideally mulch that area to keep it weedfree.

LAST EDITED ON 28-Jul-04 AT 08:37 PM (BST)

We "reclaimed" a largish area early this year.

Some of this land has been well dug (we also put in a pool) and we covered with a small amount of top soil from an adjoining field.

Having seeded just before Easter, we now have a dense lawn, but much of the greenery is weed !

I think if we had the time over again, I would pay more attention to weed killing beforehand.

However, it does still look great as long as we mow a couple of times a week and I am hopeful the blasted things will eventually give up.

Em