Roses and orchards in the south west

Fmn

We are about to take possesion of our new house in the Gers. I've read some postings here recently that make it obvious that roses can be grown there - but what sort are best for such hot conditions? What are you other gardeners growing there? The house is on slightly elevated ground and doesn't seem to be as clayey (?) as some parts of the south of the Gers. So far it's just overgrown lawn and a few fruit trees which I have yet to i9dentify. (It will all become clear in two weeks time - can't wait!) Also, I would love to plant an orchard. Any suggestions for fruit or nut trees?
Thanks
Fran

Fran,

This question is very relevant to us too, as we completed on our house, at Pauilhac, between Fleurance and Lectoure in February. There are a few roses there, that appear to have done quite well, but I have no idea what varieties they are. They have been planted in areas where there is some shade from trees, which may be significant.

We are also planning on planting fruit and nut trees in the autumn, and would be interested in which varieties and rootstocks people recommend.
There will also be a message in your inbox.

Mike

• 1 month later...
Hi, I know this post is a bit old but ....

My friend near Albi has a rose "patch", against a wall but which gets full sun and then shade. Her roses do very well and in fact I brought her a rose from England which is now thriving in its second year. I did read somewhere that David Austin roses are availabe in France - and cheaper than in UK. Typical!

A lot of roses we have in UK actually originated in France (and were brought from the Middle East) so I shouldn't worry too much about varieties. Most will do fine.