Tondeuse leaking fuel tank

Jackie

I have a Predator 2001 (Electrolux) tondeuse autoportee for cutting about 8000 square metres of grass so it gets a lot of work. The spigot/fuel pipe take off at the bottom of the plastic fuel tank has developed a crack and leaks petrol which is, to say the least, a bit dangerous! I assume the high vibration and the fuel line flexing has caused the problem. Electrolux seem very difficult to persuade to contact me with a quote for a replacement tank so does anyone know if it is possible to repair this crack with epoxy resin or what have you? Any suggestions will be most welcome.................John in Dept 79

You can certainly try epoxy adhesive but i doubt it will be successful long term, it is probably more susceptable to vibration than the plastic tank, but at least it should serve as a stopgap until you get a new tank, shame to old one is not steel, it would have been a simple job to weld it, thats progress I guess.

As an alternative idea, try sourcing a fuel tank from a motorcycle or moped and fitting that instead, might not look as attractive, but will probably be cheaper

Good luck

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You could try Epoxy Putty, branded Milliput in the UK, availabale in model shops, or as a  stopgap, chewed chewing gum

No, really,.............. I once repaired my dad's leaking petrol tank on a Ford Cortina with "spoggy", and it was still OK 300 miles later when we stopped and got it welded, for a permanent fix!

Alcazar