Over wintering Geraniums

Cat71

A lot depends on where you live. We never ever take any plants in during the winter because we very rarely get any frost and even less snow so they just stay in their pots and tubs,die down and then start budding again in the new Year. If you are in a colder place with temperatures that drop regularly below zero, then yes, take them into a shed or barn,but keep an eye on them and water if necessary.

We were told that last year temperatures dropped to -18!! I think this may have been a little unusual for Burgundy but I will definitely put them in a barn for the winter just in case. Sounds like the easiest method.

Thanks.

Catherine

Rustica magazine has an article on this topic this week. As Val says geraniums should be put in a barn or sous-sol. Pot them in a mixture of soil and compost and keep at 5 degrees C.Water occasionally. The same temperature for fuchias. The only plant they recommend leaving out unprotected is anthirrinums ( mufliers. ) Pat.

... but don't the geraniums need at least a little light too in order to survive?

If not, I could just leave them in the (windowless) garage and this would save me lots of bother finding somewhere in our house for the geraniums to get some natural light over the winter when we're not there.  It's a problem because the only areas are in the kitchen and bedroom under the velux windows which clutter up the worksurfaces so we have to move them somewhere else whilst we're there.  Also it brings in lots of creepy crawlies and slugs with the pots.

Please advise!!

Valerie: