goats

Helen888

i would like to get a couple of goats but as yet know nothing about how to care for them. I can probably find out enough to put me  off the potential new pets online (!) however one thing i wondered was whether a licence is required here for keep just a small number of goats?

The other thing I was wondering was whether any goatkeepers out there have any tips for making goats cheese....is just for my brave consumption, obviously not selling it or anything!

dont do it!!!!!!..they can leap tall buildings at a single bound, they eat everything except bricks, and and and..oh well its up to you....buy a small book available on amazon called The new goat hand book, about £4,isbn number 0-8120-4090-2.. it wil tell you all you need to know.. as far as i am aware you dont need a licence or anything else, but dont quote me. two three or four are o,k but a herd might be different.. be carefull what breed you get for milk.. and try to buy one who needs a good home, there are plenty of them about at local markets. if for pets try pigmy goats. one of each is good, or two female and one male, or three females dont have more male than female for obvious reasons, and... oh bloody hell gotta go theyve got out again...bigglesbear

Hi

I kept goats on a farm in the UK, mainly we farmed sheep and the goats were for interest and they certainly were !!  I would not hesitate in recommending goats if you have the time for them.  As with all animals they will tie you down and make journeys away from your property that much more difficult but I guess you have already considered this.

I don't know which breeds are most popular over here but in the UK if milk was the main requirement then the two most productive breeds are British Toggenburg and Saanens.  The UK leads the World in quality stock for these two breeds but I'm sure there must be a good source over here.

A minimum of two should be kept and females are the only real option.  Males can be aggressive and smell !!  The normal process is to take your females on a conjugal visit to a breeder with a good bloodline male.  Try the website of the British Goat Society who may well have links with a French equivalent.  Import of kids is another option.

Be aware that Goats do not graze like sheep so will be no use for keeping your lawn in order.  They are selective browsers and will eat practically anything so no chance for low trees and shrubs.

Milk goats require milking twice a day and it takes about 20 minutes per goat although you can buy a milking machine for approx £500 to cut the effort down.

Hope this does not put you off.  They are great but think carefully of the work involved and keep away from the males.  They are such a problem that in the UK it is normal to have them destroyed rather than cruelly allowing them to be cast aside and traded through the markets.

Good luck