Wildlife regulations

Cat71

I wasn't sure where to post this question but today I came across a dead buzzard in the ditch, next to a local neighbour's farm. I had a look to see if it had been shot, snared etc. but nothing visible. I'm assuming that it had suffered secondary poisoning but obviously without lab testing can't be positive.

There is a very healthy population of birds of prey in the area and I'm in an area where the chase is very low key.

Can anyone give me any info about bird conservation in France?

Thanks

Catherine

www.pictureburgundy.com

I don't know too much about the general regulations but our neighbouring French farmer tells us that buzzards are a protected species in France.  He also says that the commune meets every year to agree on the numbers of animals which may be hunted in any season.  The year before last the hunters were only allowed to take one roe deer from our area but as many sangliers (wild boar) as they could find since they are considered to be a pest.  I believe many species are protected in France but I don't know how well this is defended in practise.

Valerie

If you go to your departmental office of the Federation de Chasse they have a book for sale, intended for people taking the test for a permis. One section describes "especes protegees" which includes buzzards. It's a good book for learning about wildlife and regulations. You could probably also get it from Office National  de la Chasse et de la Faune Sauvage, 85bis, avenue de Wagram, 75017 Paris. Tel 01.44.15.17.17. Pat.

We have many buzzards in our area and a chasse based in the village, but I have never known them shoot them as they are more interested in sanglier and why should they anyway? These hunters don't hunt for fun and there would be no point killing a bird that we all like around here.

Di is almost certainly right - and given that they spend a lot of time sat on posts staring into ditches waiting for breakfast to twitch its whiskers, I guess a lot of them peg out there, especially in cold weather. Anther cause of death might be being hit by a passing vehicle whilst picking up roadkill.

Apparently Buzzards can live to be 20.