Wood chip bark and Stone/Slate

Noisetieres

Area 87 - Haute Vienne

I want to do some gardening on my next trip to France and would like to fill in the gaps with wood mulch and put some stone/slate in a small trough which has herbs in it. This is mainly to keep the weeds down and make it look nice.

Is wood chip bark and stone/slate widely available? If so, is it very expensive? Would I be better to take some with me from the UK?

Thanks

Hi there, we are miles away from you, in Normandy, but I would imagine that you should have no problems finding what you are lookig for. If you look in the house renovation section there is a thread about gravel which will give you a rough idea of prices,  and bark chippings or 'ecorces de pin' (sp) are available in 50/100 litre bags at prices ranging from 3,50€ to 12€ a bag depending where you look! You can also buy it by the cubic metre - our local pepiniere (nursery) sells it like this for 60€ a cubic metre.

Regards

Chris

If you want a lot of bark you can get 'le Big Bag'. I saw it in Gamm'vert but no doubt available elsewhere. Much the most econonomical way of buying if you have the transport. Why they can't call it 'le gros sac' I don't know!

Liz (29)

"Is wood chip bark and stone/slate widely available? If so, is it very expensive? Would I be better to take some with me from the UK?"

It's often on promo in supermarkets/hypermarkets at really good prices and is not worth bringing from the UK!  ( Wood chip bark that is! Don't think you'd find many bags of stone/slate in the local Super U)