submersible water pumps

Chesnelay

We have a very deep (water)well at our French fermette and would appreciate any advice on the pros and cons of buying a pump (if so, what type) as we are keen gardeners.  The well is about 13 m deep before the water level and then there is another couple of meters of water. Does anyone have any experience with these things?

I have similar depth and when i bought house the pump had been in service for 30 years .!!!!!!!!!!!!

although not every day use in recent years as it was a holiday home owned by a frenchman who worked in varios areas of france and wanted a home near original family.

There is an injector at bottom of well  and in my cave a 3 phase pump pulls water up 13 metres +travels to cave at opposite end of house about another 15 metres!

It is stored under pressure in cave at 1.5 atmosphere and when yiu turn tap on in kitchen etc., water is drawn off and when it is reduced in level an automatic trip switch ,air operated, starts electic pump until water level restored.there is always a head of air in the tank to push water to the taps. we operate 1 sink 2 bathrooms and 2 toilets.

we have had origonal pump repaired a bronze impellor had worn after 30 years.you can buy cheap pumps made of plastic but i doubt the lifetime will be half as great.

when i was going to have anew one fitted the plummer who fitted the original said a repair was £300 while a new one was £1000 as they are 3 phase required to pump from greater depths.

i do not have town water as it is due this year in my hamlet.i have run dry once due to over use in garden but well is only 1metr diameter and water level also same.

I can't really help you on the techincal stuff but we "found" 13m deep well with 11 m of water in it.  It turned out to be the rainwater from the roof which is all directed into this well.  A landscape gardener recommended we harness this unexpected source and we have installed a submersisble pump which runs off the mains electicity and pumps water from the well to two taps each about 10m from the well.  When the water pressure was tested the reading was around 6 bar (on one tap, less with both taps) enough to run two sprinklers 30 m away!  With possible hose pipe bans in place in some parts of France it would surely pay to invest in something. Ours costs (including the pump, electrical installation, digging trenches with digger for new pipeworks, taps etc) were about €1,600 including tax for a professional to do the lot. 

Not sure if that helps much, probably not!