Sit-and-ride mower

Gyn_Paul

I'm  just about to buy an Auto-portee; sit&ride mower and am stuck between choices:

We have just over 2 hectaires in 2 fields, front and back, both on a bit of a slope.

Everyone I talk to seems to have a different opinion (of course!) but the general consensus seem to be " go for the biggest cut you can afford and the largest engine.

So I've researched our local outlets and for about 3kE I can get :

a 105cm 3-blade mower inc bac with a 17 CH engine,

or

A 105cm 2-blade mower  inc bac with a 23CH engine.

The ground gets boggy when wet, and at the moment there are probably several pigmy nations residing in the back field where the elephants are getting corn in their eyes.

Is a 23CH engine likely to be substantially heavier than a 17?

would I notice the difference in power? (re- slopes)

Is a 3- blader better with long grass or worse than a 2? 

All experiences welcomed!

paul

Hello Paul

What sort of prices are you talking for these ride-on mowers?

Two hectares is a lot to cut, it may be worth your while looking at a secondhand full sized tractor with a 1.5-1.8 meter topper. You would be surprised how cheap some of these old tractors can be

I'm sure size counts, but you need to compare like with like. I cut our own grass, and also cut the grass for a friend when not at their house. Friend's lawn tractor is an unknown make, and I find I am always replacing the drive belt and unblocking the tube to the grass boxes. Ours is a well-known make (MTD) and although smaller (12hp as against, I think, 17) it would easilly outperform the bigger one on a whole job (the bigger one is probably better to start with, but soon needs attention). The MTD also gives a far superior cut. So look for quality rather than just size. I agree 2HA is a lot for a lawn tractor to cope with, but if you get a decent one and have plenty of time you should be OK.

You may strike lucky with a tractor. Elderly full-size tractors can be rather tired and unreliable. All the time a tractor works OK, even a very old one, French farmer will keep it.

Yes, Will, I take your point. But what exactly defines quality?

My neighbour has cut his much smaller (but no less bumpy) field with a petrol mower: the sort with a large single blade, 4 wheels and you walk behind it. This finally gave up the ghost this Spring and he splashed out on a sit & ride. The difference in the cut is astonishing: suddenly it looks like real lawn rather than a scalped field! So certainly a longer wheelbase looks like it does a better job, but how do I know from quality? A Briggs & Stratton or a Koesler (?) motor souinds like a safe bet but anything else is just a wet finger in the air, I reckon.

I think I'll go for the Yellow monster 17CH with the three blades. At least I'll be easy to find in the prairie.

paul

[quote]Hello I just bought a Yardmachine with a 107cm cut 2 blades and a 20hp engine fromGamm Vert for 1560€. It seems to be ok I have tried it on grass about 30-40cm and it didn't flinch. Regards John[/quote]

"I just bought a Yardmachine with a 107cm cut 2 blades and a 20hp engine fromGamm Vert for 1560€."

Ooh, you could get a good secondhand tractor for that and do the job in half the time

In the end it all depends on what you want the land for. If you want a 2 hectare lawn, then I think the ride-ons are fine. If you just want to keep the grass down, then I would recommend either a tractor and topper, or sheep!!