I can always tell when my cherries are ripe

Deimos

I have several cherry trees and each fruits at slightly different times. I can also tell exactly when the fruit is ripe as, one day you can see a tree full of cherries and, when they are ripe, next morning they have all (literally every one) gone. It really is that sudden, virtually all there one evening (a few on the ground) and none there the next morning.

I’ve not yet found any bloated animals sleeping off an excessive meal under any trees and wondered what has that type of appetite ? Any ideas ? (Dept 72/37)

Thanks

Ian

What amazes me is that they all go in the same night. Not a “seem to be losing some” literally loads one evening and none the next night. Also, I have not noticed loads on stones on the ground, nor bird poo. The weight of cherries taken must be pretty high. Must be a spectacle like Hitchcock’s “The Birds” ? (or whatever the film was called).

Many thanks

Ian

Starlings, magpies, jays, crows, you name it, loads of larger birds and a few smaller ones love em. That's the purpose of the fruit - for the tree. To encourage birds to eat them and then poo elsewhere, to spread the species.

That's why pros net their cherries.