fungus!!

Frank

Hi everyone, just been out surveying the domain (if you can call it that![:D]) and I have noticed one of my trees has some fungus in the shape of flat mushroom looking thingies[:O] It is a very old tree(with relatively new growth, if it can be called that) by the look of it and around the bottom the bark and what look like roots is crumbling.  Anyone any ideas how to  first get rid of the fungus without killing the tree and secondly, how can I fix the crumbling base, if at all[8-)]  it is some kind of fruit tree, i think it is a plum type f ruit, can't remember which as I only saw the fruit when it had fallen to the floor! i can't see any other kind of grub or creepy crawlies around it (apart from the old gendarmes, but I have something for them[:D]) Any replies would be most greatfully received, thanks in advance

Kimberley

chadeniers 17

A photo would be good!    If this is a plum tree and the fungus that you describe is growing on the trunk, I would think that there is a very good chance that the tree has already "had it". Maybe someone else may know better, but in my experience this type of growth on plum means death.

I hope that you are not poisoning that which you call "gendarmes" as they do not harm live trees or plants as they are fallen seed eaters.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris

Thanks for info.

Have taken some pics but can't figure out how to post them here! The fungus seems to be on a couple of dead branches and the rest of the tree seems to be growing well. I cut off what i thought was a dead branch, but it looked quite healthy on the inside, so I don't know what the problem may be.

Thanks again

Kimberly

If the bottom of the trunk is rotting then I think I would cut my losses and replace it, especially if it is not fruiting well anyway. 

Nice pic of the gendarmes, Chris - I hadn't heard them called this before, we call them 'cherche midi'.  As well as tree seeds they also eat the eggs of other insects - they do no harm and probably a lot of good.

Phil

Phil,   It seems that calling them gendarmes possibly originated in Switzerland or that part of France, Cherche midi seems to be more French in origin?  I don't know, I just knew that they were called by both names, I can't even remember now how I found out.

Chris