Pruning Cherry Trees in 32

shropshirelass

We have two large cherry trees in our garden.  They are 21 and 16 years old and were planted when each of the previous owner's sons were born so we daren't cut them down!  Last year we had a superb crop of cherries from each tree, the second one fruiting about a month after the first one.  However both trees are badly out of shape and one is too tall for the size of the garden and proximity to the surrounding houses.  When is the best time to prune these trees and does anyone know of someone who could do it for us?  We are in the north of the Gers - Montreal du Gers to be precise?

Thank you

Hi Shropshirelass, I lived in Shropshire once in another lifetime.

The best time to prune or cut back cherry trees is in summer when the tree is still growing, after fruiting is a good time up until the end of August. If you have a lot to come of it may be best to stagger it over a few years or you will end up with too much new growth as all that energy has to go somewhere.

Can't help with someone to do it, sorry.

Chris

Hi Chris

I wonder if it snowed in March when you lived in Shropshire?  The weather is truly awful here at the moment - I bet it isn't like this in the Gers!  Thanks for the information, it sounds as if we will be busy in July - there is quite a lot to take off one of the trees so i guess it will have to be done over a few years.  If we did it all at once does it mean that the fruit will suffer or could we actually damage the tree itself?

Best regards,

Kim

I don't remember it snowing in March when I lived there Kim, but it certainly did in February sometimes, right near the Welsh border. If you can get a digi photo of the tree(s) when you are over here and send it to me by e-mail I should be able to give you some "instructions" if you like. It's easy for me when I do it myself as I can see what needs doing and where, it's to do with the dimensions of what you are taking of in relationship to what will be left ( that's about as clear as mud ) and yes, you need to leave sufficient fruiting wood on the tree.

Chris