Reply to "what does a petrol chainsaw run on" reposted here.......

Chris Head

in the hope that as many folk as possible read it, it's an important subject...........

I'm not brand loyal at all Sid but my requirements from saws are very different to yours. I buy the best in a particular power range that I can, whoever makes them. If you're only going to use a saw occasionally then a cheapy will run the chain and cut a few logs. I'd highly recommend an electric saw, I use them when I want to work inside and the noise and fumes would be untenable, you don't have to worry about leaving petrol for too long which could give carb and starting/running problems. I don't want to be anoraky on the subject at all but I've seen the damage they can do too and it really is horrific, imagine 50 or 60 sharp little knives travelling at 20 metres per second meeting flesh and bone! Chainsaws don't cut the skin nice and cleanly like a knife does, they rake the flesh out, and when the cutters meet bone they smash it, not easily repairable. There was a tree surgeon several years back who just nicked an artery whilst reducing a tree, he was dead before the fire brigade could get him down from the tree.....it happens. If my words could prevent even one ignoramus from hurting themselves then it would have been worth the effort......and the risk of an anorak label.

My final thought, and opinion, is that anybody who even has to ask what a chainsaw runs on shouldn't be using one, period.

I'm more than happy to give free training if anybody is in the Creuse area or wants to travel.

Regards to you all, Chris

Chris, I wonder if you have any idea why my chain saw (only used for cutting logs, petrol engine, McCulloch) curves slightly from left to right as it goes through the wood instead of cutting straight down?  Fortunately my log cutting season is over, but I want to get it fixed for safety reasons before I use it again, as I am concerned it could jam.  The chain has been sharpened and I have tried turning the chain guide upside down (it is symmetrical) but it still curves the same way as it cuts.  Is it just me, or is it the guide or the chain, do you think?

Hi Cassis,

Either the chain has been unevenly sharpened or the bar has uneven wear on it or a combination of the two.

Each cutter has to be sharpened to same length and angle. Use a vernier caliper to measure the length of the cutter until you get used to doing it and can judge by eye.. If it takes, say three strokes to sharpen the cutter make sure each tooth on both sides has three strokes of equal pressure as well. When you start, find the shortest cutter and adjust them all to the same length. Clamp the saw in an engineers vice making sure the jaws of the vice don't nip the bar so the chain can rotate freely, again this will give you practice at sharpening accurately. You should be using a file guide which will have angles marked on it, 25 - 30 degree is the norm for croscutting.  Make sure the file is clean and not clogged and change it regularly. Use fluid and positive file strokes. Ensure the file is the correct diameter for the chain. Also the depth guages should be lowered according the chain wear, but that's for another time. Correct sharpening is really very easy if you have the patience to learn how to do it.

As you've already done, turn the bar quite often to assure even wear of the runners, the bar should occasionally be 'dressed' too but again, that's for another time. If the bar is excessively worn then the chain won't run correctly, ask your dealer to look at it.

Hope this helps, Chris