Bouille Bordelaise (BB)

seb47

My neighbour says he is spraying his tomato plants with BB. I'm worried about doing this as mine are mostly in flower and some are even starting to fruit - I thought you shouldn't spray when there are flowers or fruit. Also, as most people in south west know, there's a load of rain around at the moment - wouldn't it just wash off? Similarly, I've thought about spraying the grapes but they too are beginning to form fruits. Any views gratefully received.

Thanks, Sue.

Says on my packet of BB to treat tomatoes every 20 days after planting out and stop a week before you pick.  I suppose the same would apply to grapes in terms of when to stop.  But with tomatoes where you have a long cropping period you'll have to stop long before the last trusses are even in flower, so its effectiveness will be limited.  Unless you like copper-flavoured fruit and veg.

I didn't bother spraying preventively last year and had very little blight.  I'm going to do the same this year and see what happens as I really don't like spraying anything unless absolutely necessary.

One way to reduce the danger of potato blight in tomatoes is to remove the lower leaves - they usually catch it due to fungal spores being splashed up onto the lower leaves. 

Hopefully they aren't planted where there were tomatoes or potatoes planted last year - planting the same crop, or crop family, in the same spot tends to encourage build-up of associated diseases.

Phil

Ages ago, I remember seeing something about using a thin piece of copper wire pushed horizontally through the stem of the tomato plant near the base to prevent blight.  Not tried it though so I don't know how efective it is, or if it is detrimental to the plant.

Thanks Phil and Suze,

I think I'm going to risk it without the spray as I am looking after the plants and have removed lower leaves - and I don't fancy blue tomato plants. I can't believe it but the Marmande have 2cm fruits on already! My potatoes are nowhere near the tomatoes and never the twain shall meet. As for the copper wire Suze, I think I might just run out of gardening energy there!

Happy gardening folks - (or slug patrol at the moment - it's costing him at home a fortune in beer at the moment!).

Sue.

We're using copper tape to ward off slugs at the moment, bought in the UK from the Centre for Alternative Technology.  Working on the hosta and cut/come again pot a treat.

Only down side is that it's cut through for ease of tearing, teeth like and it's razor sharp - probably slash any passing slugs or snails to death.

Another option is to buy a small copper sheet (available from all good DIY stores near you!) and cut it into strips with tin snips or stout scissors.  It is a very easy job. If you have a number of pots to do it works out cheaper, even if you have to buy some tin snips.  You can also make a series of cuts part way across the strips, all along their length, and curve the copper over to make a physical and decorative 'frilly' barrier before you wrap it around your pots.

Phil