New gardener in 31 next week!

Berlioz

Hello to you all,

I have just been reading some oldish posts while I'm supposed to be packing for our move to a barren new plot next week.  I am trying not to think what the new people here will do to my beloved roses and organic vegetables.

Can anyone recomend a gardening book in English about growing organically in the SW ?  I have a couple, Louisa Jones Kitchen Gardens of France and Louise Ranck Jardin Paysan.  What I'm really looking for is a English translation of a French Geoff Hamilton or Monty Don or the Vegetable Expert.

Does anyone live in the Toulouse area and know what the gardening climate is like compared to East Anglia which is cold and damp most of the year, except for heat waves!) I have raised beds here but they dry out so fast I had to install irregation hoses and an automatic timer.

Is the SW winter very mild, when are the first and last frosts, will I need a greenhouse? (having to leave mine behind because I cannot find anyone to take it down ;-()

My French is going to need intensive intervention before I can read a gardening French book.  I have bought a French/English gardening glossary to get me started!

Donna, Hi!

First, you must try not to think about your old garden. It only took me 2 years[:)] After three years, I still mourn the loss of my beautiful greenhouse.

I would love translations of the Monty Don or Geoff Hamilton books you mention, but in the end, it is so very different here that I don't know how useful a translation from English would be: you need to just allow time to adjust to the soil, the climate, and learn gardening French.

Anywhere south of  The Loire is going to be so very different to East Anglia, but perhaps someone from down there will come in and detail the specifics, but just to start, expect mistakes and miscalculations. Bearing that in mind perhaps avoid any expensive purchases. I think a greenhouse might be redundant, the southerners will tell you about that though.  It is here, and I'm well North of you.

Don't even be tempted to plant any perrenials or trees until November. 

Good Luck!

[quote user="Tresco"]

I would love translations of the Monty Don or Geoff Hamilton books you mention, but in the end, it is so very different here that I don't know how useful a translation from English would be: you need to just allow time to adjust to the soil, the climate, and learn gardening French.

[/quote]

I think Donna is after a French garden writer similar to those two, giving advice on gardening in France but in English.

We are also further north than you, Donna - the greenhouse is great for starting plants off early, and is great for early tomatoes and for things like aubergines and peppers for those in the north.  But it's far from essential even up here and I would guess redundant where you are going.

Hi Donna

Ok, weather first - we moved from the Essex/London borders.  Weather here in summer can be v.hot - v.v.v. hot, 44 yesterday - and winters can be very cold, minus 8 is not uncommon, minus 12 for a week or so last winter.

We've been here two summers and use raised beds and large pots (plastic barrel type things cut in half) and they work well, especially for the courge type things including melons.  Good thing in this area is an abundance of well rotted stuff which we have used to underpin the beds, topped off with terreau or bagged terreau horticole.

As for gardening books, there are two bio gardening and two excellent potager mags (available from the presse) plus Rustica which was very bio but has become more glossy of late but good for basics.  I still use Geoff Hamilton's Intro to Organic Gardening but bring everything forward about 3/4 weeks which is my general rule of thumb.  Interesting when back in the SW Uk a couple of weeks ago how far in front we actually are here.  And the growing period tends to be longer, autumn is warmer (but wet) so late producing plants may go on for longer.

I'm also a member of what used to be HDRA so keep in touch with the UK bio gardening stuff through them, again, just bring stuff forward by a month or so.

Hope this helps

Thank you Tresco, Cassis and Tony F.

Yes it was a French home grown Geoff or Monty lookalike translated into English! sorry for the confusion. I know there is a TV prog on TV5, but that is as far as i'v got on the French answer to celebrity gardeners!

The two books on Amazon I do all ready have, they are a bit light on actual vegetables if I recall ( I am a bit of a bookaholic) I did get a copy of the Rustica magazine and a couple of others and can understand a bit, Moon planting seems interesting, although I'm not sure I'm organised enough for that!

The 3/4 week forward is helpful Tony, I realised they are way ahead when I saw young plants in a Market weeks before mine were even pricked out!

Not looking forward to -8 let alone anything colder  Brrrh.