Veg Garden

John Brown

I've just moved into a renovated property thats had a new fosse septic installed in the grounds of the house

I visited the house while the work was being carried out and could see where the pipework was laid. The work was obviously passed.

My question is, now that the pipes have been back filled and covered with soil can I make my veg garden directly above the soak away pipes

The soil appears to be at least 18 inches thick above the trenches, so working with a spade should be OK but will the roots draw up any

thing from the soak away. Thanks for any advice on the issue[8-)]

Interesting question, John.

As regards the pipes, they should not be affected as nothing I can think of in the veg garden puts down roots that deeply (not among your usual annual veg, anyway).

As regards what the roots draw up, I deliberately manure our patch every year! [:D]

This reminds me of the second house we rented when we first moved to France - it was on a fairly steep hillside overlooking a wide valley - the vegetable area was more or less below the house and it grew the most ginormous carrots and parsnips amongst other things and rarely needed watering - only later did we find out that the owner had spent many years in Hong Kong where he had developed an interest in growing vegetables fed by the the water outlet of fosse septiques - it didn't seem to affect the flavour though, just the size [:$]