July 2011.  She has notified me that the sale is delayed because

of the owner's death.

Has anyone had a similar experience? 

Any idea what happens as we had agreed the 29 July for the signing of

the acte de vente?  Any idea of how long this might take

(dreading the answer to that one).

Many thanks for any help or

advice.

It is my understanding that the contract is offered to the next of kin, who has the right to agree to go ahead or to cancel. I have no idea how long it takes but I imagine it takes as long as the notaire can satisfy him/herself the nephew is the only family.

Your notaire is the best person to ask.

Personally, I'd go through the agent as you are paying them a nice wodge of money and they can jolly well earn it.

Also, some notaires are not good at answering queries, whether by phone or email..

Plus, I think it's easier to lean on the agent, make them be proper go-betweens as that is their role in the transaction.  And, if anything doesn't go to plan, you have someone to complain to and at whose door you can lay the blame.[6]

It is also likely that the agent and notaire (if they are both from the same place) would have established some sort of working relationship with each other so that the agent might be in a better position to get answers than you are. 

A little story from when we sold our house last year.

All parties agreed a final signing date of 30 June but hopefully by 16th.

The 16th came and went. A week later I asked the Agent what the hold up was. The next day he 'phoned to say the Notaire was waiting for some paperwork.

I was walking past his office later that day (24th) and casually dropped by and said to his secretary "So we can put it back on the market on the 1st."

We signed on 29th.

As it has already been said, deal through the Agent.

And no,we wouldn't have done that but it had the desired effect.

• 1 month later...
I'm pleased to say that this little worry has now been solved, and we signed the acte de vente on 5 August, just a few days after the original deadline of 29 July. 

There probably wouldn't have been any worries if the estate agent had kept us informed, but all's well that ends well.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.