laurel stumps

DorothyJ

I knew it wasn't going to be easy!! I don't think we shall go ask our local farmer to bring his tractor but I bet he would enjoy doing it. In the past (way back in the dark ages) we drilled holes in unwanted stumps and then poured creosote into the holes. This was very cheap but think creosote is now banned so will try a stump-rotting product. Do they all work equally well. Can I go for the cheapest?

You have a few choices for the cut down laurel.

1. Dig out the offending stump, laurels generally tends to have a healthy root stock with several big roots that need to be cut. This would take you roughly 2 hours. tools required spade, bow saw. dig the soil around base and cut through roots using bow saw until all seperated from the stump an remove. soil and grass seed the area and within 2 months you will never know you had a laurel there.

2. Chemically treat the stump, go to a local garden centre and buy a bottle of stump killer and follow instruction and watch the stump slowy rot over time may be 3 or 4 years and then just kick over.

3. Cut the stump to ground level and again chemically treat the stump, cover with soil and again seed and soil the area. Tools required chainsaw or local tradesman.

which ever choice you choose you either have to dig out the roots or chemically kill it as it will only send out new shoots as a while ago the fully grown tree was supported by an extensive root system providing food for a big tree. That root system is still there so needs to seperated for the stump either by digging out or using chemicals.

My choice would be number 1.

A little more labour but its only human power that is used instead of putting chemicals into the land. Surely you must know someone who could do this for you at a small cost of two hours labour

If the weather holds this week we shall attack the offending stumps with bow saw,spade and renewed energy. We would prefer the tractor method but it would flatten our fruit trees as the hedge isn't on the edge of the property but divides the kitchen garden from the orchard area. It may be possible to get the tractor in a safe position but I'm not taking any chances with our friendly farmer! Thanks for all the help

[quote user="DorothyJ"]If the weather holds this week we shall attack the offending stumps with bow saw,spade and renewed energy. We would prefer the tractor method but it would flatten our fruit trees as the hedge isn't on the edge of the property but divides the kitchen garden from the orchard area. It may be possible to get the tractor in a safe position but I'm not taking any chances with our friendly farmer! Thanks for all the help[/quote]

If they can flatten something or make deep ruts, they will! [B]