bananas

beardwood

I have succeeded in growing bananas and have now at least 4 "hands" . I would love to keep them and be able to eat at least one but it seems rather late in the year . I have started wrapping them in bubble wrap overnight . Anyone any experience or advice . I live in Nerac Lot et Garonne .

Sue Russell

Hi Sue

I thought I should tell you one other thing is that the stem with the fruit on it will die after its fruited. You cant do anything about it its just what they do. But if it is one of the bananas I mentioned they will stick up small plants and they just keep going until the same thing happens. I take it that you wrap the trunks up in the winter, Or is this your first year with bananas.

• 6 months later...

Dear Ms Russell

I have had considerable success with banana growing in France. Although I am now retired and by no means fit, my wife and I have struggled to harvest over 4000 kilos of bananas in 2008, possibly aided by our microclimate (we are fortunate (???) in living just downstream from the Golfech nuclear power plant and have been able to divert the effluent warm water so that it runs through our banana house).  It is vital to grow the right variety- I prefer 'little gem'. It provides a good income stream for us during the summer/autumn months with our stall in various local markets. In fact I note that you live in Nerac, and this is one of the markets at which we are frequently to be found, so do come along and say hello one Saturday. I usually wear a fluorescent orange cagoule to make me stand out (like the man with the trilby hat on who sells cheese from the Auvergne and the man with the beret and handlebar moustache who sells black puddings) and my wife bless her has a limp (which alas has worsened owing to the demands of carrying the boxes of bananas back and forth from the van). I could give you some tips on cultivation (virtues of compost based on used teabags and coffee grounds- mustn't give away all my trade secrets though!)  so I do hope you can make it some time.

Good luck with the bananas!

Josiah Benfield, OBE