Table d'hote tip

Jp1

Hi all,
Heres a top tip for those doing evening meals.
Apologies to those that know.
Use "Metro" cash and carry for bulk food purchases, prices stay the same irrespective of school holidays as I'm sure most of you have noticed how supermarkets nearly double their prices when we most need things.
All you need is proof of registration at the cdc, i.e. your siret number and the bit of paper with your code ape on.You are then issued with a card to make purchases.
check out their website to see if theres one near you http://www.metro.fr
click Metro en france, Implantations.
I know we all use fresh and local produce where possible but there are some things that are not produced locally (sugar, flour, fruit juices etc etc) and from our experience we've certainly saved money and time during high seasons by using metro.
Any body else got any other top tips to share.
regards.
JP

JP,

Yes we joined Metro some time ago now, one of the benefits is being able to buy in bulk. We buy the catering size packs of meat from them. In fact we buy all the serviettes (breakfast and evening meal) ice cream, well you could say just about everything really, rather than go through it item by item.

Since moving northwards in France 5 years ago and because Metro is now 40 minures away on the far side(for us)of Rennes we use Promocash in Saint Malo more often but I have to say Metro is probably better overall. Rumour has it that Metro are looking to come down to Saint Malo but, they said that 5 years ago !!

We also have an account with Carogel now called Brake France, others may know them better as Brake Bros in the UK. They are a large wholesale catering concern. Many of the large (and small) hotels use them.

We tend to get Pain au Chocolats from them for the kids we get here and also the Croissants, due in part to our boulangerie, not always having enough made early in the mornings. Although to be honest the croissants we get from Brake France are excellent. They are 60 grammes and the slightly more expensive ones are the ones that use Charente butter in the making of them. You get them out of the freezer in the evenings and by the morning they have risen and then 15 minutes in the oven at 180 c and believe me, you have a lovely tasty croissant and more importantly, we rarely if ever, get any back, client is happy and so are we!

You can also get mini pains (small bread) or demi pains (half baguette) but for bread, we prefer to use our boulangerie. Brake France will deliver (we go there, as it is on the way back from the daughters school but in summer we get them to deliver)and as far as I am aware you do not need a siret number etc to use them.

As JP said, going to Metro (or promocash)will save you money and in the summer, when the tourists are around and the shops and centres are buzzing, it will save you time (and a bit of money!)

You can go straight in, get what you want in no time (compared to the large shops). The policy is always to clear the 'cash outs' (term for wholesale "caisse" from UK can't think of the correct word)as quickly as possible, as they are aware of the importance of time to their clients.

Yes I agree, it would be nice to hear of plenty of other tips.

Miki