B&B Training Courses

Her in doors was out of doors doing some retail therapy today so I thought lets live dangerously and then started thinking.

What about running a course for people who want to come and run a B&B in France, I pondered this for a while, well for nearly 5 minutes, over a G&T (must remember to add some water to the gin bottle else she will know I have been enjoying myself again) and decided it would be rather impractical and I still dont know it all by far so I wont bother. Not only that I doubt you would ever get and people to come anyway.

Where is all this going I hear you ask? Well I thought (again, dangerous isnt it) what would people expect from such a course, answers on a post stamp please?

I must stop this thinking thing, thats twice now in two days, if she ever finds out, well it doesn't bear thinking about.

Chris

http://www.chambresdhote.com

Not a totally daft idea Chris. I've thought of it myself but stopped thinking almost as soon as I started. Firstly, like you, I know nowhere near enough about it yet. And secondly, do I want to encourage people to set up in competition to me?

Now here's a thought. You can advertise in the south west (I know, it's supposedly the SE but I can't get to grips with that) for people interested in starting up a B&B on the NE and I will advertise for people to come to me in Normandy who want to start up in the SE. Perhaps we'd better put the idea on hold for a couple of years til we have a bit more experience under our belts - by which time the property market in the UK will have crashed, so no one will have any dosh to do it, or the B&B market in France will be well and truly flooded so no potential left!

C'est la vie.

Coco

• 4 weeks later...
Chris

You replied to one of my posts earlier this year (I'm the one who wants to help parents to retire to Aude region and run v. small B&B for extra pin money) with some helpful directions to a variety of links.

Despite the fact that I am now thinking this may not be the brightest idea I've ever had (what with the anti-competition postings and frightening saturation stats)we think that you're idea of a B&B training course is a fantastic one. If nothing else, it'll be a great excuse for a weekend break in the region (presuming it's a weekend course??).

Main points I would appreciate your opinion on are:

1) Set up procedures, ie red tape, licences required, accounting requirements, tax etc
2) Costs of set up to be expected (other than cost of house)
3) Potential pitfalls and problems to expect
4) Rough idea of any post-tax earnings (don't laugh please)

If you do decide to go ahead I would appreciate if you could let me know. If not, we will probably be down later in the year for a "reccie", so may well rest our heads at your place (presuming that'd be ok) - it looks gorgeous.

Many thanks