Booking Scams

Hi,

I've recently had a load of dubious bookings come through...6 scientists need to stay in your area....types!  I understand the scam with transferring funds to your bank account ect, but how does the scam work when they want to use credit cards/US dollars?  I've had loads come through and as soon as I say we don't take credit cards, I hear nothing from them.

Can anyone explain?

• 3 weeks later...

Well you are not alone!....we run a Chambre d'Hote near the Lot Valley and over the past few months have been receiving a regular number of scams through our e-mail. Some have come through the normal booking enquiries that we run online adverts and has prompted us to write and complain.Unfortunately if these criminals and that's what they are, have your e-mail address it is very hard to block them.

We have through our website administration created a filter that will cut down these scam makers but nothing is perfect!

We do have two address that you can report scams too.One the IC3 the other the Internet crime section of the F.B.I that has the latest list of scam attempts.Like yourself we have had a group of guest via spoof address in Holland asking to pay in U.S.$ and with over payment being sent to us and we in turn being asked to send the difference to a Western Union transfer account....others have been from Canada...Lottery winnings...Ohio...Security deposit account...Spain...Lottery winnings...Italy...."Please help my family"....California....Nigerian Princess needs to transfer funds back home...so on and so on....all deleted.Many are easy spotted as they have very poor spelling or odd names often back to front such as "Clark Peter" etc.

Perhaps the worse are from someone claiming to be Morgan Chase Bank asking account security detail checks and requesting account info and likewise with Paypal !!....both e-mails do read and look convincing but are known scams....so be warned...don't give any acount details away over the internet unless you are 100% sure they are genuine.

Would be interested to hear from any other forum members, particulary in business if they too have experienced these types of scam.