Dog Friendly Hotels ,B&B's

Maggie - If I took of my B&B hat off and answered as a dog owner I would rather leave my dog at home or find a place that let me take him in the room (in a kennel), probably a hotel. I wouldn't see the point of bringing him all this way to put him in a kennel even if it's for night time only.

From a B&B owners point of view I can see people thinking lets go to the beach today, we can leave the dog in the kennel.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

"I think you are better off staying with your chums in Southern Spain or put your dog in a kennel the next time you head into France!"

How sad that France and those who live here can now be represented by people like that.  Maybe he should keep off that pink stuff.

Errr...with repect  to the madam called "Christine Animal" If people who write such crass comments aimed at children just because a B&B owner(s) makes a point of view about allowing dogs to stay, then it is they who should be ashamed. I don't represent anyone other than an opinion just like yourself. We won't allow dogs at our B&B farm for the protection of sheep and ponies and other livestock no matter how well trained the owners claimed their dogs to be...let alone the muck that dogs tend to roll in when out in the fields is totally unexceptable to other non dog guest to suffer....there are those Gites/B&B's that take dogs that's there choice but it's not one for us or I suspect the majority.

Oh by the way don't touch the pink stuff...whatever that is!.....But I do enjoy a good brandy after reading some of the threads on this forum!!

[/quote]

Sorry, Lotman, the pink stuff was due to the colour of your text.  I don't think Kristine is concerned whether or why you accept dogs or not, she was simply asking if there was a guide with those who do.

Luckily, there are many hotels in France who welcome pets, noone has asked you to be one of them.  There is no need for her to leave her dog in a kennel next time she heads for France, there will be plenty of people here to welcome her.

As for the "crass comments"              

No harm in having a little fun, so enjoy the brandy !  [:P]

I see the sun is on the way down so a wee drink sounds like just the ticket - if nothing else then just to wash the dust out of the throat!

May everyone live in peace with their cats, dogs, fish, children, bears, fouines, parents and other halves.

Phil [B] [B] [B]

Poor old" Lotman ". Has he never heard the expression "never assume," It makes an ass out of u and me !"

He "assumes " I have no children, I have two sons and a grandson,hopefully I never inflicted them on anyone else,in the same way that I don't  intend to inflict my dog ,which is why I wanted a "dog friendly " place to stay other than the french hotels that we have used very happily in past years.

Why would you think I would be better off "staying with my chums (yuk ) in southern Spain," would you like to generalise or assume on that point as well ? Many thanks to those who made useful suggestions.The best suggestion was the drink , I don't think the sun is quite down over the yardarm yet , but I'll put a bottle of cava ready.

we have taken our dogs on many a holiday with us and would not ever think of wanting them in our room, they dont do that at home, so why on holiday if the owners dont have any where for our dogs to sleep, then they are happy to stay in the car for the night. I would not want to stay in a room where a dog had been sleeping as a dog owner i know where thoses hairs can get to. at home they have there own beds and a old sofa in the conservatory where we all sit and have a cuddle. but they know they arnt allowed on the sofa in the living room, its all about training and bounderies, as with children! would you want children in your house who jump up and down on the sofa with there shoes on? and as owner /parent would you let them?   

I was going to say this in my moderators role but then I thought it doesn't really need to be that heavy.

It is clear that Kristine (who started this thread by asking a simple question) and Lotman have quite different thoughts on pets, dog's in particular and children. Some other members may agree with either of the two parties but at the end of the day it's each B&B owners right to accept dogs or not. So in Lotmans case he doesn't take dogs and fair do's to the man and he has stated why and we should respect that. I don't feel that we really need to go any further down that route with him. Likewise Kristine has made her thoughts quite clear as to noisy and badly behaved children and some might agree with her and others may not so I also think there is no further mileage in going further with that and we should respect her thoughts as well.

So unless anyone has any further information that they want to pass on about where she can stay with her dog(s) I guess we can call it quits on the rest of it and as has been proposed earlier retire to the terrace and have a G&T or whatever else your 'poison' is and chill.

[quote user="Quillan"]

So unless anyone has any further information that they want to pass on about where she can stay with her dog(s) I guess we can call it quits on the rest of it and as has been proposed earlier retire to the terrace and have a G&T or whatever else your 'poison' is and chill.

[/quote]

Sounds fair to me!..nothing further to add all has been said...Enjoy your stay in France Kristine, no offence intended.

Many thanks to those people who have answered my query with useful information,especially the book  , ( which I have ordered . ) I will be coming to France later this year , will as always stay a couple of days with our french friends and their two small children , who happen to be extremly well behaved ,our dog will  be sleeping indoors with us in his soft collapsable crate which we use when we travel and at shows. At home he sleeps in a separate room in a large dog crate , as he was crate trained from a 7 week puppy. No tall dog owners are irresponsible,neither are all parents , many people are able to strike a happy balence, enjoying the company of a dog ,whilst raising pleasant agreeable children , even , when like myself, my working life , including two years in Saudi Arabia before coming to France , was spent working with children in clinics and hospitals. Thanks  again for  resolving my query.[:D]

$]   I'm good with children and dogs , but as you can tell pretty useless with computers !! The spellings not so hot either ! I ought to pack in the training and agility classes and enrol in some that tells me how to use this thing. I wonder what short dog owners are like ?

[quote user="pads"]we have taken our dogs on many a holiday with us and

would not ever think of wanting them in our room, they dont do that at

home, so why on holiday if the owners dont have any where for our dogs

to sleep, then they are happy to stay in the car for the night. I would

not want to stay in a room where a dog had been sleeping as a dog owner

i know where thoses hairs can get to. at home they have there own beds

and a old sofa in the conservatory where we all sit and have a cuddle.

but they know they arnt allowed on the sofa in the living room, its all

about training and bounderies, as with children! would you want

children in your house who jump up and down on the sofa with there

shoes on? and as owner /parent would you let

them?   [/quote]

I wasn't going to post, as I have found that all too often, some

animal lovers are actually a breed of their own but that's another

story. Anyway this post, was by far, the most sensible post of the lot.

Loves their animals

but knows and thinks how it really is. Perfect guests and sensible to

boot, gets

my vote for best guest award.....bravo [:D] Oh yes, some while ago, one dog peed in their

owners room and left hairs all over the place, it was the last dog to cross our threshold, it only takes one and that

one, is one too many.

[quote user="Miki"][quote user="pads"]we have taken our dogs on many a holiday with us and would not ever think of wanting them in our room, they dont do that at home, so why on holiday if the owners dont have any where for our dogs to sleep, then they are happy to stay in the car for the night. I would not want to stay in a room where a dog had been sleeping as a dog owner i know where thoses hairs can get to. at home they have there own beds and a old sofa in the conservatory where we all sit and have a cuddle. but they know they arnt allowed on the sofa in the living room, its all about training and bounderies, as with children! would you want children in your house who jump up and down on the sofa with there shoes on? and as owner /parent would you let them?   [/quote]

Anyway this post, was by far, the most sensible post of the lot. Loves their animals but knows and thinks how it really is. Perfect guests and sensible to boot, gets my vote for best guest award.....bravo [:D]

[/quote]

I quite agree, but doesn't this behaviour fall into the "no dogs allowed" category.  At least I would have thought so, if the dog isn't even coming into the property.  We had a French family turn up on one occasion with two dogs, not having thought they would even need to ask whether dogs were welcome.  We refused the dogs entry because of our cat and they happily left them in thae car overnight and then even walked them down the lane in the morning, rather than letting them loose in our garden, as the French don't seem to do that "pooper scooper" thing!

I’ve not taken my dogs on holiday and do not run a gite.  However, my general experience with people who have dogs (of all nationalities) is that most are considerate and a few not.  As with all things in life you get a lot of good ones and a few bad ones.  I’m sure there are some who have had bad experiences with one or two young children.

Anyway, in many parts of France temperatures can get quite high and leaving a dog in a car could be quickly very fatal (for the dog(s)).  I would thus encourage anybody who does not allow dogs to make this very clear to visitors when they book, in promotional material, web sites, etc. in advance.  Worst thing would be for somebody to arrive, have your dog “declined” and for it to be far too hot to leave the dog in the car.

Ian

Please don’t take my post as any sort of comment of what people do.  It was more a thought as my impression is that taking your dog with you on holiday is more normal in France than the UK plus temperatures are often higher than in the UK.  Everybody sets their own rules for their houses but non dog owners may not be quite as aware of the practicalities of leaving dogs in cars.

Ian

No probs, Ian - just wanted to make sure I was on-side.  As you suggest, we state on our website Rooms pages and in our standard email confirmation that we don't allow pets in rooms and that inside the house is non-smoking.  It avoids problems when guests arrive.

Phil

"Anyway, in many parts of France

temperatures can get quite high and leaving a dog in a car could be

quickly very fatal (for the dog(s)).  I

would thus encourage anybody who does not allow dogs to make this very

clear to visitors when they book, in promotional material, web sites,

etc. in advance.  Worst thing would be for somebody to arrive, have your dog “declined” and for it to be far too hot to leave the dog in the car."

With the best will in the

world, do you really think that as B&B owners we are going to put

on our site "Leaving your dog in your car in hot weather in our car

park, could result in a danger for your dog" !!

We already say, Sorry Dogs are not accepted and after that, I

can't understand what you are saying ? Are you saying, if they see our

advert somewhere and arrive without telling us, that they have a dog

but will leave it in the car park, we now have to warn them ? But on

the other hand, you say it would be proper if we put it on our website

or promotional material, sorry but all this, is purely for the dogs

owner to already be fully aware of.

I think cases like this are best left to the owners discretion and government dog warning

advertisments. If we don't accept dogs, that's it, if they say they

will leave it in the car (one in 5 thousand request) then it is

entirely up to them what they do.

It was nice to read that both  St Amour and Cassis had good experiences with french dog owners at their respective establishments,as I had written earlier ,I do think that the french attitude to dogs is far better than that of the brits,( In general!),as is their general attitude to life ,which is proberbly why you are all living there.The point Deimos made was well intentioned , but I would imagine night tempreratures in a reasonably ventilated car would not be too bad, so long as people realise on booking that they either can or cannot bring animals and or children ,and whether or not they are allowed to smoke I would see no problems,then the choice is for the client,whether to stay with one or go to another that you think might be more amenable to their way of living. Thankfully in France there is a huge choice of all sorts of accommodation ,all levels all prices,I don't think that Miki needs worry too much ,I don't really think that Deimos expects you to have to go to such lengths to appease us awkward dog owners !!

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

What about this then !              http://www.voyageswithdogs.com/FS-Itineraries.htm

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4196/is_200403/ai_n10937403

[/quote]

The first site doesn't work in Firefox.  Maybe okay in IE, which is always a good test of a website - if it works in IE it probably needs rewriting, like my site did!

The second article is a hoot!  I particularly like this bit -

"Crosby and Brown (presumably they are a comedy double act home in the USA) took dog food with them to France. They had some left over, but didn't want to bring it back home.

"I ended up giving it to a homeless man who had a dog. I've seen

him on the same corner for the last 10 years. I asked him if it would

be OK if my dogs gave his dog this dog food. He said, but of course,

the dog would love the food. But he asked if I knew if it was fish or

chicken or beef.

"Only in Paris would a homeless man care about the flavor of the food for his dog."

Handsomely twee article throughout - thanks for sharing!  I also liked the doggy lifejackets bit.  Aaah, sweet!

Phil

Hi Kristine

An earlier post from Christine Animal says that Etap Hotels welcome dogs (also cats).  This is quite correct.  We have stayed in several over the years on our journeys to S.W. France and often see well behaved dogs with their families. There are plenty of Etaps in France. Dogs are not allowed in the dining areas and must be kept on a lead when in communal areas.  The hotels are basic but clean and very cheap !

Have a good holiday ! [:D]