Key or not to key....

Gemma

Hi all,

I just wanted a bit of advice on giving out door keys to guests.  I've heard that some Chambres d'Hotes owners obviously give them their room key but don't give them a front door key....is this wise? 

Hi there

The easiest way is to have one of those security locks on the front door - that way all you do is give out a number & guests can come & go as they please - especially recommended for French wedding parties who usually come in the worst for wear at 5am....You can go to bed at the usual time secure in the knowledge that the door is 'locked'    Less keys to lose & replace too.....

We have always given a house and room key and have done for the last 5 years. We have had one taken by mistake when the quests left but they posted it back. Other than that we have never had a problem. I know others who do the same and others that say we must be mad so at the end of the day it's down to personal choice and what you feel happy with.

Same here - we give room and house key.  Am not staying up all night for boozy wedding guests or staying in for someone who has forgotten their cardigan during the day.  So far, so good - a couple of keys have gone to far flung parts but have come back by return post.  I would actually be more worried with the key pad thing that someone might give out the number to all and sundry.  I know they could always get extra keys cut etc, but if you do Ch d H you take some risks and maybe we are just lucky but most of our guests are nice.

Exactly the same as Quillan, front door and bedroom key plus a map of how to find us. We have had a few who book in rush out and spend an hour plus and do many kilometres trying to remember where they booked in. They are the ones who leave the map in their room. As we are betwwen A and B and the road goes past the front well marked gate I put it down to alcohol and possibly the fact that all the street lights go out at 11pm and it's pitch black. We do leave garden and a house light on. Only had one key taken by mistake,guest realised about 120kms away and was going to bring it back,but posted it as advised.

One theft by a departing guest, could have been one of two so I couldn't plant him one but the good ones make up for it.

Our guests get a room key and a front door key. Just remember to ask for the keys back before they leave.

Quillan: we have had two couples this year say "The keys are in the room/door" and as they were in a hurry to leave we accepted that - they were not, more likely in the missus' handbag. After several emails requesting their return we ended up charging them for replacements. Fair enough as keys are not cheap.

[quote user="wen"]

Our guests get a room key and a front door key. Just remember to ask for the keys back before they leave.

Quillan: we have had two couples this year say "The keys are in the room/door" and as they were in a hurry to leave we accepted that - they were not, more likely in the missus' handbag. After several emails requesting their return we ended up charging them for replacements. Fair enough as keys are not cheap.

[/quote]

We have electric gates and you need the keys to operate them. It sort of reminds them to leave the keys because they can't get out without them or us letting them out.