Set up costs for Chambre d'hote

ngh

We have a gite, which is registered as our main source of income. We are just in the process of registering our second gite as a

Chambre d'hote. Can anyone tell me what cost i might incur just to set it up?

Thank you

Nich the wood

Hi

Well the building was a stables (120 sq mtrs) up until last year. We converted it into a gite. This year is the first time we have let it. The idea was, if the main Maison is let, we don't let the gite. so that is were the "Chambre d'hote" comes in. It will only be available for rent for about 6 months a year. It is a fully equipped gite and we will give clients the full use of when they book a bedroom. Only one letting at a time and for one or two rooms.

cheers

nich

That is as clear as mud!   A gite is either a gite or you have rooms in which you are doing chambre d'hote.  Either way if you are registered for letting holiday accomodation I can't see it makes a difference which you do, but normally chambres d'hôtes are part of the owners home and services such as breakfast are included.  Chambre d'hôte are not self catering.  Perhaps explain a little more clearly.

Didn't mean it nastily - it simply wasn't clear what you were intending to do.  Where are the c d'h - in house?  If in gite is breakfast in house etc?  Your original post really wasn't clear - if you are simply doing c d h when gite not rented weekly then there should be no extra costs but you will need a licence for breakfasts etc.

Ok Thanks for reply. Things very hectic here at the moment.

When the gite is not let as a gite (weekly), we are intending to rent the whole "gite" as a Chambre d'hote. This will be in the way of one or two bedrooms being let to the same party, for a single night or two, but the clients would have use of the full gite and its facilities. We will include breakfast, which we will deliver to the gite at an agreed time. I know its a bit "messy" but we were hoping to get only odd nights and the extra revenue would be handy, when the gite is not booked. We do live on site.

nich the wood

Shouldn't be a problem - but if I were you I'd make it simpler and rent the gite for odd days/weekends.  If there is a kitchen folk can prepare their own breakfast.  You are not obliged to stick to one week bookings.  My s-in-law does this and she gets quite a lot of weekend and odd nights during the off season.  You could offer breakfast as an 'optional extra' delivered in basket form (croissants/fruit/yogurt) and let them make their own coffee etc.  I think that would be easier as with chambre d'hôtes most people expect you to be there and serving.  You can also think about shorter rentals Thurs - Mon for example during the low period.  Flexible is the way to go outside the summer.

The main problem we were hoping to overcome was the exclusiveness of our property. We offer our Maison guests "exclusive" use of the grounds and pool area. That is why we decided on the chambre d'hote idea. The gite/chambre d'hote, has its own rear garden, facing away from the private courtyard. If we let for weekends and odd days as a "gite" we would maybe have a problem with guests wandering around. We thought with a chambre d'hote , we could just allow our guests restricted access without a problem and most people would only require B & B facilities and then be on there merry way.

nich the wood