Table d'Hotes licenses

PEPPA

Hi we already have a small B&B ( 2 rooms)  & are hoping to expand to 5 next year.

We also want to offer Table d'hotes with alcoholic beverages served with the meals

We would like to know what license is required & where we obtain it from.

If we wishes to offer drinks for sale in addition to with meals ( alcoholic/non aloholic) would we need a different or additional license

thanks

Hi Peppa

I presume that you already have the Class 1 license (you should have that to serve tea/codde or orange juice).

You just take that in to the local douanes and ask for a Class 2 - which is all you need to serve alcoholic drinks with a meal (ie. beer, wine etc)

But to sell alcohol you need a different sort of license and from what we have ben told to go on a course and pass a written exam.

If you haven't already got your class one, go to your local Mairie and ask for one, they usually do this on.

I am sorry but it is not for the Mayor to issue such a licence.

You will require a cerfa 11313*01 form which is completed at your local DOUANES office. Ours is called a "Grande Licence Restaurant" which allows us to give orange juice (or any other juice), tea and coffee at breakfast. It also allows us to give wine with our meals and to sell wine and beer (not spirits) with any 3 course meal we serve.  This basically means we can serve a three course lunch time or evening meal with wine either given or sold with the meal. Please notice the difference between 'give' and 'sell' as the type of licence depends on this difference. The licence costs nothing although in some regions a small admin charge is made I believe, it is also perpetual and does not require renewal

We are not allowed to operate as "a bar" and it is imperative that we only serve drinks with a full 3 course meal i.e. a sandwich, cake and a bag of crisps does not count. To do this you will have to have a proper bar licence which will cost you big time.

The Douanes are really helpful and if you tell them what you want htey will sort it out in minutes, it took me 15 minutes to get min and 10 of those were talking about the best wines to be had and from where in the region.

• 10 months later...