Seeking Mr & Mrs Brett, Stayed in St. Jean D'Angely 14-17/10/10

Etoile

I don't know if anyone can help but we need to contact a Mr & Mrs Brett who stayed in our B&B in St. Jean D'Angely from the 14th to the 17th of October. They were house-hunting, I believe in the area towards Confolens.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

I think you don't understand the French law or system.:

Cas particulier de la clientèle étrangère

Depuis 1999, l’exploitant de chambres d’hôtes est tenu de faire remplir et signer à ses clients de nationalité étrangère (y compris ceux des États membres de l’Union européenne) une fiche individuelle de police.

Les informations suivantes doivent être portées sur la fiche :

• le nom et le(s) prénom(s) de l’étranger ;
  • sa date et son lieu de naissance ;
  • sa nationalité ;
  • l’adresse de son domicile habituel de l’étranger.

Elle doit être remise le jour même aux autorités de police.

Remarque :
le modèle de fiche de police a été défini réglementairement. Il est possible de se le procurer auprès de la préfecture.

Which translated means you are by law obliged to take the Name, country, date of birth, birth place and address (including people from other EU states and the US) then hand this information to the Police (not Gendarmes). You can get forms from them or your prefecture.

Now not many people actually do this and I have not heard of anyone being fined (it's a 1,500 Euros fine) but you should always have their name and address, I mean just for peace of mind, what happens if there is an accident, you don't actually know who is staying in your home. Plus you can always say you have not had time to fill out the forms and take them to the police if there is a fire etc but you do have their contact details.

Likewise you are also obliged to put their name and address on their bill for which you keep a copy,

Délivrance d’une note

Une note doit être remise à chaque client :

• dès que le montant total de la prestation est égal ou supérieure à 15,24 euros ;
  • à la demande du client, si le montant est inférieur à cette somme.

Cette note doit être établie en double exemplaire : l’original est remis au client et le double est conservé par l’exploitant pendant un an, classé par ordre de date de rédaction.

La note indique :

• la date de rédaction ;
  • le nom et l’adresse du prestataire ;
  • le nom du client, sauf opposition de celui-ci ;
  • la date et le lieu d’exécution de la prestation ;
  • le décompte détaillé en quantité (nuitées) et prix de chaque prestation ;
  • la somme totale à payer.

Failure to do so will result in another 1,500 Euros fine. So if you never took their address and didn't notify the police nor give them a bill for which you have kept a copy you are looking at a total of 3,000 Euros in fines.

Seems to me you need to tighten up your operating proceedures because you never know who's watching especially in this current economical climate, people are very happy to 'denounce' you to the authorities.

Not a dig by the way, just trying to be helpful, good luck with your quest to find your guests.