Libility Insurance

Kergohy

As the owner of a nice old property needing lots of work, from its earth floor upwards, I'm hunting for info on what insurance might be needed by us as a business as clients of artisans. The property will be used for letting, as well as our permanent home in due course. I've not been able to find out whether we need public liability insurance to cover people working for us on the project, despite diligent searches thru LF pages.
I know artisans are required to carry insurance - does that cover them getting hurt while working for us, or causing damage to our property or that of others?

I'd really appreciate any help given

As registered builders in France we have to carry compulsory Deennale and Civile insurance which is the ten year guarantee on works carried out and public liability in case of theft,accident etc. In France if you have an accident whilst working as an employee or boss the state picks up the tab for all treatment required,but if out of working hours or someone working on the black it is the property owner who is liable for every charge going as well as prosecution by the social securit for employing them inthe first place. Ask to see your artisan's insurance certificate which should state exactly which "metier/s" they are insured to carry out and if they cannot produce one, don't touch them with a barge pole because they are without it.