Tips from a renter

letrangere

Following on from my previous thread, here's a couple of suggestions from the other side:-

1. It must be a pain if you have a big place and a tight changeover but it really is nice to arrive to find the beds fully made up. I know some people do but others don't.
2. And in the winter, even nicer if there's a hottie bottie in the bed! (Go on, spoil us!)
3. It's also lovely in winter to arrive to find the central heating (if applicable) already on. We arrived late Feb fully prepared for a cold damp evening in a house that probably hadn't been lived in since the New Year. What joy to open the door and feel the warmth. If you're charging tenants for a week's heating, why not put it on mid morning on the day they arrive?
4. And having a fire made up ready in the grate so that a match only needs to be put to the fire lighters is also much welcome. And it's also very helpful for guests who don't have a clue as to how to build an open fire.

Margaret

ps: you'll probably change your mind about wanting us as tenants now!!!

Margaret, you've answered some questions that have been in my mind this winter. We have had people here much earlier than in the year than ever before and we have been in a quandry to know how to deal with the heating. IMHO it is unthinkable for people to turn up to a place that has not been heated in advance at this time of the year, but we have had to second guess their time of arrival so as not to waste electricity. I also looked out a hot water bottle, although I haven't gone so far as to put it in the bed, and in fact I have seen no evidence that it has been used!

Liz (29)

• 1 month later...
i read your message and was delighted - we do everything you ask for, and more - maybe you should come and stay at our gites sometime. we are in the loire valley if you would like to know more send me an e mail or look on www.loirevalleygites.com

Sometimes people doing renovations have asked about baths versus showers and I admit I have always said a shower is OK.
Well a shower is OK BUT having been without one for a week or so I have learned, or remembered, what a pleasure a bath can be... nothing like a good long soak....very relaxing.

I wouldn't dismiss a gite without a bath, but one that did have one would get a plus point!

Gay
http://www.quimperclub.org/