Forfeit of Land ownership

Chrispy

I have a small farm south of the Loire,which has more land attached than I can manage at the moment. I have therefore continued the same arrangement as the previous owner, and allowed a local farmer free use the land. This works well for him as the land is unfenced and sits alongside his own fields and he has helped me with his digger. A very good arrangement!

My one concern is that I could lose ownership of the land if has continuous use of the land for a number of years.Does anyone know how this law works and what is the period ? Could I protect myself by instucting him to cease using the land for one year before the crutial period ?

Thanks

Suggest you get some legal advice. As I understand it, then he has the right of tenure regardless of the time he has been occupying the land (indeed I guess he has the same rights as when you bought the property). Getting him off may well be difficult regardless of how/when you try.

Get some good advice & don't listen to me!
b
Nick
http://www.aplaceinfrance.com

we have a lot of land, so we let it to a local farmer for free. We went to a notaire who drew up a simple document whereby either of us can stop the arrangement with 6 months notice. It is VITAL not to accept any payment or gift in exchange for giving the land rent free - if you do, you have created a form of tenancy and that can go on for some years AND be handed down a generation...
The paperwork is worth the price of sleeping easy, and you could come to an arrangement with the farmer about who pays the notaires fees.
Don't let the situation slip - you could definitely be in trouble!
The name for our arrangement is a pret a usage, and beware too of the situation you can find yourself in with the MSA over agricultural land and "farming" it...
I can supply further info plus the sort of wording on our document if you want. Yes, see your Notaire with your farmer!