Sunlounger Breakages

passiflora

Hi

I am hoping you can help me. My latest visitors phoned today to say that 3 of our sunloungers had collapsed on them and broke. That is THREE IN THREE DAYS. I only have 15 so am wondering if I will have any left by the end of the fortnight.

I have not inspected them yet and will not be able to do so until Saturday so do not know if they are the brand new ones or a year or two old. How long would you expect the ordinary Supermarket sunloungers to last?

Someone has told me they deteriorate in the sun but surely they would last a few weeks in the sun.

Many thanks

Carole S (16)

Dangers of letting,I hope they have not injured themselves on your clearly faulty sunloungers and sue you for damages.
Or maybe they are overweight.
Or maybe that the loungers are damaged by the sun and need replaced,frends of ours only had their chairs a couple of days and they collapsed in the heat,(cheep and cheerfull variety).

I think that dealing with breakeages of any sort is one of the really annoying and difficult aspect of gites. We've had 2 sunloungers break during our 6 seasons of gites - the first time the chap was way overweight and himself suggested that we deduct from his security deposit so we did. The second time the chap mentioned it and the lounger was only a week old and we could not see that the lounger was faulty in any way - so we told him we would deduct the money from his security deposit - don't think he was v happy about it. If you find that it is new ones that have broken then I would tend to deduct. Incidentally, a friend of ours turned up at his gites on a Saturday to clean etc after guests departed and found that there were big triangular holes in the pool thermal cover - he was understandably cross as it's hard to see how that shape of hole can be caused other than by jumping in on it(highly dangerous!) or throwing something heavy in - he did not return any of thier deposit - we are upping our security dep next summer from 150 to 200, though that would in no way replace a thermal cover. Julie

Hi

Well I am back in one piece from dealing with my sunlounger breakages and yes they were, I have to admit, my brand new - cheapo bargain ones purchased in LeClerc. The chap renting my gites is a nuclear submarine engineer and showed me exactly what the fault was so I shall be explaining this when I take them back. I did have a thought that perhaps this engineer could go in for designing sunloungers - could be interesting.

Apart from that all well. Phew!!

I shall definitely replace them with umm a better quality product.

thanks for all your help and advice

Carole (16)

• 2 weeks later...
Well

We took the broken sunbeds back to LeClerc and were told in no uncertain terms that because they had been used once they were not able to refund or exchange. We explained others had returned the very same loungers and got refunds. No avail.
Well all I can say is LeClerc at Ruffec must have a large part of their storage area now filled with our broken loungers. We have told them we will not be shopping with them again and feel they are delighted to lose one more customer.

There is no way I can charge my visitors for them as we definitely feel that they are substandard. My next thing to do will be to write to LeClercs Head Office. I guess that won't get me very far either.

Carole (16)