Re:Changeover/keyholding costs

We consider ourselves lucky to have a neighbour on hand who is happy to handle changeovers for us but we are experiencing some problems (as we are both relatively new to this - our first year of renting - we hope these are just teething problems). I have some questions as follows:-
1. How do you arrange cleaning, do you just clean just the once before new guests arrive? Or do you clean after guests leave as well?
2. Do you pay per changeover or an annual fee?
3. If you are not resident like us, what arrangement do you have for incidental work, eg. recently we had a lock break and need replacement? Do you agree that under a certain figure, work can be arranged in your absence, and beyond that figure your permission is required? If so, what sort of figure?
4. When using a neighbour as we do as keyholder with absent owner, how much would you typically pay per changeover, and to sort out the inevitable problems that arise, before and after taxes? (4 bedroom house)

If you would prefer to send me a private message that's fine!

Musicmonkey

To be legal it is advisable to pay your neighbour through the cheque d'emploi scheme.  You can ask for a book of the cheques + social security paying in slips from your French bank.

Downside is you will be paying social security contributions for your neighbour in addition to an hourly wage.  Upside is, your neighbour will be fully insured when working for you and you will be legal.

Up until last year, it would probably be fair to say that authorities turned a blind eye for cash payments for this sort of thing.  This is no longer the case and tax evesion is taken very seriously, with almost unlimited fines.

For a four bed house, the going rate here in Dordogne is approx 11 - 14 Euros per hour. The same for a call out rate, with a minimum of two hours to make it worth the persons while.  Like anything - you tend to get what you pay for.  My personal opinion is Brits expect more than the French.

You have a choice with the cleaning.  You can insist in your property contract that the property is left clean.  If it isn't, you can then take cleaning costs from the deposit.  However, most people agree that guests standards of cleanliness vary considerably, so you may off er a cleaning service, either incorporated into the price or as an add -on.

Oracle

Hi

Yes I would agree with that sort of charge 13 euros is what I charge guests for extra cleaning and am told that is the acceptable amount. 

Please take note of the advice to use the cheque d'emploi system it will cost you more money but if your neighbour has an accident on your premises you are covered.  Also the authorities take working on the black very seriously and I know of cases where people have shopped others - not just the british but the french as well.

CaroleS (16)