Contract for long-term let

Lottie in Lot

I am about to rent my gite to a couple on a long-term basis, and I want both of us to have a contract that gives us security. They will live in the gite and act as caretakers for the main house as I need to move to China for work. 

Does anyone know of a standard contract or is my best bet to consult a notaire?

Any other suggestions most welcome!

Thanks,

Lottie

Hello Lottie,

Here:
http://www.directgestion.fr/immobilier-guide-pratique/baux_a_telecharger.asp
Contracts in Word, you want Baux à télécharger Location Meublée (furnished) or Location Non Meublée for unfurnished.

But... do take advice from a notaire, longer term lets are full of pitfalls, especially if the property is to be the tenants' principal residence. Even "good friends" can turn into sticky tenants. Quite separate laws apply for furnished and unfurnished, you'd be best keeping to a furnished let of under 6 months, but even then beware of the rights of tenants with no other home. The law is very heavily weighted on the side of the tenant. If a furnished property is deemed to be insufficiently furnished you can find yourself subject to the "non-meublée" law (mainly Loi Mermaz) and tied to 3-year contracts which are automatically renewable as long as the tenant continues to pay the rent. It's a huge and complicated subject, do see a notaire however well you know the prospective tenants!

Jo

Many thanks for your reply, I will take your advice and see the English-speaking notaire. I agree that even the best tenants can be a problem, and this would be their only residence. Thanks very much for making me think about this very seriously and in much more detail.

All the best

Lottie