Bike Usage and Liability

Deby

We have 3 bikes at our place which are for guests use.  They are actually ours, but we do not mind them being used by our guests.  However, I always get a bit nervous, what if a guest has an accident, either due to bike failure or french driving (or any other nationality for that matter).

Also, some guests who are coming next week have asked me to source some bikes for them, which has been quite difficult.  There is no third party specific Location de Velo in the vicinity.  A few other gite-businesses have offered theirs to us, but am now starting to get concerned as to the liability of it all.  We obviously have all the normal public liability stuff, but that is for the Chateau.

Has anyone any experience of this - or would you not touch this with a bargepole?

Replies appreciated.

Deby

I would not let people use our bikes, precisely for the reason you state (public liability). I read somewhere (maybe it was on this forum) about the possibility of being sued if someone, for example, fell off the bike and then blamed you.

My advice is, "don't go there".

If you normally have bikes on the premises, then why don't you ask your own insurers what the position is.  If they cover you for your guests using equipment on the premises then great, if not leave it alone.  It is very difficult to spend your whole life wondering what somebody can sue you for!!  I am amazed that any of us actually take anyone into our homes at all. 

If you can't use your own see if there is a local VTT association as they may know someone who can deliver rental bikes to you.  I know this happens in some areas.

Good luck

Maggi

There are a couple of (French run) B&B/Gites places near us which make quite a thing of having VTTs for hire, so it must be possible. Both of these are with Gites de France, so if you are with GdF or a similar body (plenty of chateaux are) they should be able to give advice. Otherwise, the idea of talking to your insurer sounds like the best idea. It can't really be much more risky for you and them than having a pool, or a children's playground, on the premises.

Thank you for your advice.  I will speak to our insurers and thanks for the tip re: VTT - never thought of them.

Our guests have rang and assured me their own travel insurance will be valid and are ready to sign any disclaimer.  I know they are really looking forward to having bikes and I would hate to disappoint them so I will do everything I can to source some for them.

Deby