WINTER OR OUT OF SEASON BREAKS

londoneye

Hi All

We have a property in Limousin - just got planning permission to convert barn and stables.

Stables are quite small but very cute -  (or it will be, assuming it looks anything like architect's drawing at end !).

Intending on just this one property to put in a wood burner hoping for a few out of season lets, or should i say really just to extend season a month or so either end of norm.   Considering also a hot tub type affair (outside not inside ! - not big enough inside!).   Although we could probably squeeze in two bedrooms have gone for just one (mezzanine level) bedroom, partly becuase two would be just too cramped and also because assume (perhaps completely incorrectly ?) that out of seasons are more likely to be couples.

Wondering if anyone has any idea of what likely chances are of attracting out of season lets - would be willing, for example to have guests easter/christmas also - wouldnt bother us !   Certainly dont want long lets, but would be willing to consider 3/4 days long weekend type arrangements.

Of course gite would still be available in summer also ....

Thanks in advance for any responses !

I suppose it must differ from area to area - my own experience in Brittany is that after the half term break at the end of October, I generally don't get many UK guests (unless it is the odd house hunter, or regular guests who have family in the area) until Easter. I do get quite a few French guests, which suits me as they generally only stay 2 or 3 nights over a weekend, therefore not using too much wood or electricity in heating the properties. Some of the French guests are local, looking for a big house for a family /friends get together, but a lot are from further away, they also come because we are fairly close to St Malo and Mont St Michel, which are very popular places to visit.

I would say it is worth getting a wood burner in anyway - at Easter/October it can still be cold enough to need heating, so it is always an advantage to offer this facility. You don't want your guests being cold, especially if you live on the doorstep.