French Cottages

gigi

Hi

Q1 - We will shortly be moving over to France running a Gite/Cottage business.  Can somebody please tell me what the norm is and how payments are received.  Can someone suggest the preferred system for receiving these payments.

Q2 - Can someone advise on the purchase of a new left hand drive car for registration in France.

Look forward to your replies,

Many thanks

gigi

Gigi

Welcome to the forum.

Q1- Try searching under the section Gite Owners In France and then refining your question a little more.

Q2- Give us some idea of what you are looking for. Is it a recomendation for a particular make/model or is it a how to do it question?

Benjamin

[quote user="gigi"]

Hi

Q1 - We will shortly be moving over to France running a Gite/Cottage business.  Can somebody please tell me what the norm is and how payments are received.  Can someone suggest the preferred system for receiving these payments.

Q2 - Can someone advise on the purchase of a new left hand drive car for registration in France.

Look forward to your replies,

Many thanks

gigi

[/quote]

Welcome indeed.

Sorry to sound so critical, but isn't something as fundamental as receiving payments or buying a car something you would do at the beginning of your research, rather than shortly before moving?

That apart and benjamin says, we need more info if yo are to help. but to get you going,

Q1. your bank can rent you a TPE (terminal paiment electronique) - a credit card machine. As I understand it, most gite/B&B owners don't use one. Or there is paypal, or cheques, or cash or t/t...

Q2. UK or France? In France, we go into a garage & say (In French) "I would like to buy that car, will you wrap it for me?". Or we ring telephone numbers in the local paper. I haven't bought a car in the UK a few years, so the system may have changed. For instance, they may take credit cards for car purchases! Or you could try the internet. Wonderful thing, I gather.

Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Benjamin

At the moment we have 2 cars but when we move to France we will be looking to sell these and buy one car.  My husband and brother have had a look at some cars in Boulogne but found they were not as cheap as first thought.  We were looking for something along the lines of a Citroen Xsara.  Do we just have to look around or are there recommended places to go?  We thought of selling our cars in England and buying a left hand drive but my husband wanted to buy a car in France so it would be registered over there.

There's no point in buying new LHD in Britain - you'll have all the palaver of getting it registered in the UK then re-registered over here.  Nor second hand LHD for the same reason, plus you'll probably have to change the headlights.  Better buy in France.  Were you looking at buying new or second-hand?  Prices are not dissimilar to the UK for new but I find a lot of French SH prices optimistic.  But they are always open to negotiation.

The reason most gites and B&Bs do not take credit card payments is that the banks charge an arm and a leg for the transaction machine rental.