Help wanted

Frederick

A friend who is staying in a gite near Guingamp Brittany in June has asked me if it is possible for her to hire in France an electric scooter as she uses one in the UK due to mobility problems . I have to say France seems to be way behind the UK in the use of these aids to mobility by the disabled and unlike the many "Mobility  " Shops that sell and hire these  I the UK I have not  come asccross one in the Vendee  and certainly dont know how to advise her  re Britanny .... does anybody know of any companies who will hire mobility scooters ..........she really needs one of the type that will go in the boot of a car ....she hasnt really got room to take hers with her she is travelling with friends .

Hi There

You can't hire an electric one, we live just north of Guingamp, and I hire a lot of equipment for my disabled guests, but an electric wheelchair or scooter is not possible, from either pharmacy or one of the several medical shops. What I advise guests to do is bring their electric chair and we can always hire a manual chair!

Sorry, but I don't think that you will have any luck at all, it certainly is not possible locally.

Thanks Jacqui........This is what I suspected ...I shall pass on your comments ... as you are in the area ....Its going to be difficult for her to bring one with her so her stay will mean she will not get about as she hoped ....she uses a  ride on  scooter that does about 8mph .......sounds like there is a little hire business opportunity  here ?

Funnily enough it had crossed my mind - but I think that insurance is the issue which is why they don't do it here at the moment - 3rd party insurance is required.....we looked into it and although we can have one on our site for people to get about we shouldn't let them go out and about in public spaces as they would be covered either personally or against third party damage!

It will probably come along by one of the larger companies, but how much it will cost will be abother matter!