Buying existing gite complex

rcf2001

Hi all,

I guess this is a very common question so please excuse me if it has been asked before.

Basically we are in the process of viewing gite complexes in the Normandy area with a view to relocating later this year, luckily we will be mortgage free and have an income from another business based in UK.

What I would like to know, is what area's people can recommend within Normandy and any areas to avoid, also we plan to purchase a two gite property (plus main accomodation )  but are having trouble finding much choice in Normandy ( guess that is good news that people are not selling?) However some other areas are flooded with gite complexes for sale...  Any ideas why this would be?

We have worked out that if we are full in both gites for the two main summer months this will more or less cover our costs and anything else will be a bonus. Is this realistic with good marketing?

Any other advice for our house huning would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Martin

Hi Martin,

Over the years that I've been here, the only logic I have to offer for the pockets of gites, complexes and indeed Brits - is simply the proximity to estate agents who speak English. Historically, the likes of Villedieu-les-Poeles, Sourdeval, Gorron etc have all had English estate agents. Also, one person moves to an area and sets up with gite(s) and at least some of their visitors do likewise just around the corner, because they like it there.

French owners are a bit the same, they see Brits doing well and decide to have a go themselves. At least, that's what they've told me.

I think all of Normandy is nice, but for tourism don't stray too far from the obvious targets ie. Mont St Michel, Bayeux, D-Day beaches, ferry ports etc. If you're too far from a beach, a pool usually does the trick.

As to if you can cover costs... do you have a crystal ball handy? Some owners are doing fine with one small gite, others are struggling with several. The problem at the moment is that there are so many good quality gites in the area, that the potential bookings are spread a bit thinly overall. Good marketing is essential.

• 2 months later...