Touring Pitches

Charlies Dad

Hi All [:)]

We are moving to France and intend to set up a couple of gites.

We have approximately seven acres of land and would also like to set up Touring Caravan/Motorhome pitches for up to 10 units.  We would provide limited toilet/shower facilities, (i.e. one toilet/shower room for ladies and one for gents).

My question is, does anyone know if we would require permission from our local Maire or any other permissions to set up such an enterprise?

We would be grateful for any advice.

Regards

Charlie's Dad [:)]

Hello Charlie's Dad

I'm sure you'll need permission, probably from more than one person! Why would it be any different here than in the UK, of course you can't just open up a field as a touring site without declaring your plans. Have you thought about access, services (water and electricity) and very important... sewage disposal?

I suggest you start with the local mairie!

Sid

[:)] Hi Sid

Many thanks for your response.  Perhaps what I should have asked was, does anyone know what permissions etc. we would require, as I realise of course that we cannot just open up a field as a touring site.  Access is not a problem, nor do I think that water and electricity would be either.  We would probably instal a separate sewage treatment system for the loo/shower block and a holding tank for chemical toilet waste.

Really just wondered at this stage how difficult it might be.  We are moving to a fairly rural area and I don't think that anyone would be able to actually see any tourers sited from the road, so I don't think we would run into problems on that score.  Perhaps a lot depends on the attitude of the local Maire towards tourism.

Thanks again, anyhow.

Charlie's Dad

Hi again Charlie's Dad

I still think that the mairie is the best place to start. For one thing you'll get a good idea of whether the maire would be 'for' or 'against' the idea. If he's not on your side I think you'll struggle. If he likes the idea he'll point you in the right direction as regards planning etc.

Most of these things require application forms and so on, and to a newcomer it ALL seems difficult.

How about trying someone else with a touring site? Google for an English owner?

Sid

Hi Sid

Yes, I think the local Mairie is the place to enquire first.  The secretary there was quite helpful on another matter when we went there last year.

We did stay at a small touring site last year which had English owners, so perhaps they could also point us in the right direction.

Thanks for your response.

Regards

Charlie's Dad [:)]

I don't know if this will help you. We wanted to put some mobile homes in our garden and then clad them to look like cabins. We were told that even for mobile homes we would have to declare as camping and that the new(er) regulations are far more strict. You will first have to apply for change of usage of the land using a form called Demande de Certificate d'urbanisme (cerfa 13410*1) and you can find a copy HERE This is the latest version and it is very important that you use it because a lot of things changed on 1st October 2007. You will need to make four copies in total, hand them in to the Marie and then wait for two months. To accompany the form you will still require the normal things such as an offical Extract du Plan Cadastral (a 1/25,000 map of your plot - you had similar when you bought the place, it was in with the deeds) from your Marie and you will also need a geometric to visit for a 'cut through' of the site and four photo's of the site taken from the cardinal points. You might also visit your local DDE office who will tell you what will be required as per toilet and shower blocks etc.

Once you have done all this if you hear nothing after 2 months (even if you live within 1km of an historical monument and the 'something' Batiment de France are involved under the new rules) then you have the change automatically. Mind you I would still check, things can get lost in the post.

Once you have changed the use of land you will move to the next stage which is to apply for building permission (this is my next bit to do). If you can keep each of the 'blocks' under 20 M2 then it's easier as I understand it.

Hi Quillan

Many thanks for your response, which is most useful.

What do you mean by "a cut through of the site"?

I think we may get the architect that is going to do our other plans to deal with the queries for this proposed project too, so that we get it right.  Sounds like a bit of a minefield!

Thanks Again,

Charlie's Dad[:)]

You will need a surveyor (Géomètre in French) to survey the land doing a cut from the highest to the lowest part and to determine how far above sea level you are (we are 340M up and yet there is a flood zone here so being high does not always mean you can't flood). If required the DDE will then use the information to run a 'model' which will say if your land is liable to flood. The requirement for the model is of course if you are in a area prone to flooding. You may be able to find this out via your local Marie.

The Géomètre can help you complete the form as well. This is important because it's not what you say but how you say it which is why I would use French people rather than English. This is also because the French are dealing with the authorities in your area all the time and know exactly how they want documents prepared and presented which increases your chances. Also a good idea to get the Mayor on your side as well. Mine is very positive (especially as we will be employing local people both during and after), mention job creation always goes down well.

Good luck