pool alarms

Adrianaa

LAST EDITED ON 13-Jan-04 AT 03:26 PM (GMT)

On 19 September 2003 Steve Hudson wrote in this forum: 'All other forms of protection (alarms etc) should be additional to the barrier.'

Can anyone confirm that? Can an alarm only be used as a complementary device? I thought one had the choice of four possibles: hard cover, fence, alarm or abris.

I get a lot of conflicting advice, and very high quotes!

Regards,
Adriana.

PS: the subject of pool safety laws is discussed in three or four different categories on this forum. I picked 'Gite owners' because the issue is more urgent for owners letting their property, but 'Legal' seems good to.

Any suggestions of how to discuss the subject effectively?

We went to our local pool company yesteray to ask them to come and do an estimate for fencing. We were told that we could have just an alarm instead of fencing, but I remain very sceptical that the information is correct. We had previously read (in The News, I think) that an alarm could only be used as well as, not instead of a fence.

Our biggest problem is that one of our gites is just 2.4m away from the pool, with two doors leading out towards the pool (one a stable door) and our feeling is that to erect a fence between the two would be positively dangerous. If we can fence further out and leave the house within the fenced area, have an alarm and perhaps only let this particular gite to those with older children, we are hoping this will be acceptable.

I also asked whether it would be the gendarmes in charge of policing the law, and was told that it was 'Repression des Frauds' Even more confused!!

Perhaps someone else has more info.

Judy