pH and DPD- Correct levels ?

Em

Hi
Can anyone help me to understand what I should do with my PH and chlorine test readings.
I gather the correct pH level is 7.2, so if it is, say, reading at 7.4, I add a little pH reducer.

I have no idea what my chlorine level should be. Last week it was 0, with pH at 7.2 so I added two tablets of Chlorine.

This week, having topped up the pool with our own spring water, the Chlorine is at the top of the scale - 6.0 - so do I just sit tight until it reduces by itself and put no chlorine tablets in until it is lower?

Sorry to sound so ignorant, but this is our first pool year and we have already had a green episode so am trying to avoid future problems, but all I have done so far is guess work.

Any tips greatly appreciated.

Em

While I am definitely not an expert on pools (ours is still green since opening after winter and will now have to go the empty and refill route !) I can offer some advice. If its stating the obvious then I am sorry but I know pools are very difficult !
Once you have put chlorine pastilles in its important to check the levels every day, every morning and night is even better. Then you will get a feel for how the levels behave, particularly when you are topping up the water at the same time. If the chlorine levels rise, then just take the pastilles out and leave them on one side until the levels drop again.
Never forget to chuck in some anti-algae at least once a week.
When using pH moins or pH plus, make sure you dissolve it in some pool water first and distribute around the pool.

And, after this years problems....dont forget to use the hivernage when you close the pool, and try not to close it when the water is still very warm. Otherwise you will still have a green pool at the end of June !

Good Luck !