Swimming Pool

gas

I have downloaded a pile of info from the net on how to maintain the swimming pool. Having read the documentation I have decided either i obtain the services of a maintenance company or I sign on for a 7 year degree in chemistry at the local university.

I visited the local SP company, I have very little French and they have 0 english. The result was that we have been informed that we require a winter cover for the pool. The one we were shown did not look much different than the so called summer one that we currently have covering the pool.

Why is it necessary to have a winter cover.?

We have discovered a test kit in the pool house. We tested for chlorine, and the result was between 7.2 and 7.6. We also tested for ph and the results did not give a reading. in addition some form of tablets are in the test kit, what are these for. ?

We also have large containers for PH negative and PH positive, what are these used for.

Any help would be appreciated.

george

Gas

I think you must have swopped your test results as 7.2-7.6 would seem spot on for PH and if you have not added chlorine to your pool lately then you should expect a chlorine reading of zero.

The PH minus and PH plus are simply used to raise or lower the Ph level.

Other winterising would depend on weather or not you expect the pool to freeze.

Regards Colin

[quote]HiI also inherited a pool.They are actually quite simple to maintain.I've made some notes here : http://tlp.netfirms.com/pool.htmBonne chancePeter[/quote]

Hi Peter,

I am unable to link in to the site indicated. can you construct it so that i can click on to it and end up at the site.

GAS

[quote]Gas I think you must have swopped your test results as 7.2-7.6 would seem spot on for PH and if you have not added chlorine to your pool lately then you should expect a chlorine reading of zero. The...[/quote]

Thanks for the information Colin. I will try again tomorrow. We are living in department 17, called Charante Maritime, the locals have told us that the winters are relatively mild, with little in the way of snow, and about 15 days of sub 0 degrees. The previous owner told us to purchase chlorine tablets and insert one in each of the two holes at the top of the pool. he said put 1 in every 3 weeks in winter and 1 in every week in summer. We looked at the tablets today after your mail and they show virtually no deterioration at all. Are we supposed to crumble them up. ?

GAS

Hi gaz

1)The link is :

http://tlp.netfirms.com/pool.htm

You may need to copy & paste to your browser.

If you can't get this to work, click on the www button below and then on "pool" in the menu at the bottom of the new page.

2)I think it may be that your chlorine tablets "galettes" have not eroded because the water is not passing through the skimmers. Either the filter is only taking water from the bottom of the pool (check valves), or the filter is not operating.

Roughly the filter should run 8+ hrs per day in summer, about 3hrs / day now, and 1 hr per day in winter (when water temp drops below 12C).

Bonne chance

Peter

George.

We have just had a pool built and getting advice/information from the suppliers has been like drawing teeth!  It was, I think, Peter (Mpprh) who recommended purchasing 'The Ultimate Pool Maintenance Manual' by Terry Tamminen.  We did this via Amazon and it is excellent.  About 2" thick and gave us all the answers to our questions.

Sue

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

We are buying a small house near Bergerac as a maison secondaire and are inheriting an above ground pool ( a glorified huge tank). We would like to keep it going but realise that we will only be there for a few weeks a year. Also, we might think about letting it out to friends etc when we are sorted. What we real need to know ( apart from whether it's going to be possible to maintain it throughout the year) is whether the current security regs are the same for above ground pools. Any advice gratefully received.

Coz

[quote]I have downloaded a pile of info from the net on how to maintain the swimming pool. Having read the documentation I have decided either i obtain the services of a maintenance company or I sign on for ...[/quote]

We found this web site helpful for our first year with a pool.

http://www.poolstore.co.uk

Click on "Help and Advice" in the menu.

Hope it helps