Is there a tax on pools??

Can anyone advise as to how (or if) swimming pools are taxed in France.

We've had one since 1999 (came with the house) and I had always assumed that the taxes foncieres (or perhaps habitation) were adjusted at the time of installation to reflect a higher rateable value.  However there is no specific mention on either of our annual demands.

Recently a French friend said (when asked) that there is a box to tick on the declaration des revenus (2042,  don't know which category he fills in).   Don't remember seeing one.

Sorry if this has been covered,  I did do a search and followed a link to a Languedoc site (redirected) but there wasn't anything specifically about this that I could find.

The pool is a dug out one and - yes - we have already (at vast expense) installed an alarm.

Ask at your Foncieres office to see the declaration currently in force, I did this recently and found that the 20 year old pool that I was renewing had never been declared!

Even things like a shower above a bath, toilets, sinks, a shed, a terrace, heating,appear to get extra points on the H1 declaration, so yes I am expecting an increase.

I suspect your pal is pulling your leg on the tax form.

Thanks LesLauriers for that.   I'll investigate.  It did seem a bit unlikely that it would be on the declaration des revenus,  but then one can never assume that how it would be in the UK is how it will be en France.

Without (I hope) being nosey,  it would be helpful to know whether the tax authorities are pursuing you for back payments or whether you have been granted an "amnesty";  will quite understand if you'd prefer not to reveal which!