Hi,

I'm having problems regulating the Ph in my new pool. In my old pool I never had a problem with this - I got it right at the start of the season and it hardly changed at all.

The Ph is very high and over the past week to 10 days I've put in a total of 10 kilos of Ph Minus and although it has nearly got down to the correct level, it keeps going up again, sometimes off the scale.

This is the spec of our system: 10 x 4.5 pool plus roman end; 1.2m deep for 2 metres then sloping over 4 metres then 1.8 metres deep for another 2 metres; liner pool; Pro-Matic ESC16 salt chlorinator; Zodiac Eden-pac2 heater (which hasn't yet needed to function!); sand filter; and it is covered by an abri-bas.

The temperature of the water has been up to 35, usually hovering about 33/34 - last night we have left the abri fully opened to reduce the water temperature as anything over 30 could be damaging to the liner and other equipment. The temperature this morning is 31. We have very hard water (we have already had to de-scale the cell of the chlorinator after only 6 weeks or so).

Reading the instructions for the chlorinator, I need to have the total alkalinity checked as this governs the speed and changeability of the Ph (it says that excessive alkalinity can lead to high Ph values) . It also says that this is done with a "suitable analytical instrument".

Does any one know how I would go about getting this done in the Perigueux area, could I take a sample down to one of the pool shops? If it is too high what do I need to reduce it?

Does anyone have any other advise to resolve the problem?

This is my web site of the pool build:

http://our-new-pool-build.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

Fantine

You problem is not unusual.

Balancing the water chemistry depends upon a lot of factors. Without a thorough test of all the parameters its difficult to be precise about the cause of the problem. Its sure that your water is hard and requires acid dose to bring it back to neutral again, this is normal, but the amount you specify is strange. I wonder about the concentration of the acid you have been supplied.

The solution might be very simple but without testing I would not like to speculate.

I will be in Dordogne Wednesday to friday next week. If you want I could call in, test and give you an opinion.

I don't think that the solution would take long or be difficult to find.

Andrew

In my experience, the chemicals you buy at the hypermarchées and bricos really aren't up to much. Try getting some pH- from you nearest pool supplies shop. It might seem more expensive but it will probably work far more efficiently.

Earlier in the summer I used two 1kg tubs of pH+ from our local brico and they did nothing. Off I went to the local Everblue dealer and got some good stuff and just over half a kilo did the trick !

[quote]In my experience, the chemicals you buy at the hypermarchées and bricos really aren't up to much. Try getting some pH- from you nearest pool supplies shop. It might seem more expensive but it will pro...[/quote]

I've bought two tubs from Auchan (just started on the second) but actually the first tub I used to try to resolve this problem was from the pool shop, HydroSud. I've found, over the past three years of pool ownership, there is little difference bewteen the two.

From the reasearch I've done, I do think that I have a Total Alkalinity problem since filling the new pool from scratch. Hendo's coming to take a look.

elsier wrote,

In my experience, the chemicals you buy at the hypermarchées and bricos really aren't up to much. Try getting some pH- from you nearest pool supplies shop. It might seem more expensive but it will probably work far more efficiently.

Earlier in the summer I used two 1kg tubs of pH+ from our local brico and they did nothing. Off I went to the local Everblue dealer and got some good stuff and just over half a kilo did the trick !

It`s impossible to say weather another 1/2 kilo from your local brico would have had the same effect.

[quote]elsier wrote, In my experience, the chemicals you buy at the hypermarchées and bricos really aren't up to much. Try getting some pH- from you nearest pool supplies shop. It might seem more expensive...[/quote]

After 5 years of pool ownership i am convinced that the pool companies are a complete rip off and super markets offer the same chemicals at a reduced price, just read the labels