Aug 4th new regs?

Jonzjob

John where does your information come from?

Does anyone have any thoughts as to if a large, open, black concrete solar panel with a maximum depth of water, pumped in from the pool, of seven centimetres, must be included inside the pool fence or not?.....................John not Jackie

I find it difficult to imagine what your talking about, but I presume its a heating pond of some kind.

If its not meant for swimming and poses no threat to children than it should be OK to be outside.

Why for example would it not be covered with perspex or fibreglass to increase efficiency?

Andrew

Hi Andrew, got your email and hope all goes well.

The solar pond is just that, a shallow concrete trough painted black, I wish the paint would stay on for at least one season but that is another story, of 10 metres by one metre and a throughput of 6 galls/min, giving a temperature rise of 3 degrees Celsius from the input to the return to the pool end. At 7cms deep max I doubt if anyone could drown unless they fell over and banged their head as in this week on "Silent Witness"! 

A transparent cover could be fitted but I doubt that efficiency would increase that much as, being flat, there would be a large reflective loss from the surface, a transmission loss at the top end of the spectrum and other losses due to internal cover surface condensation deposits.........................John not Jackie  

[quote]Hi Andrew, got your email and hope all goes well. The solar pond is just that, a shallow concrete trough painted black, I wish the paint would stay on for at least one season but that is another sto...[/quote]

A cover on a swimming pool solar heater (either a panel or solar mass trough as in this case) does not generally increase the efficiency because the solar gain does not raise the temperature of the black body high enough for re-radiation to occure: certainly not to a level where the loss is greater than the attenuation which would be suffered from a cover.  Sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but it's a case of raising the temp of a large body of water, by a very small amount, rather than the other way round as would be the case if you were charging DHW for example. 

Additionally, unlike with pipework, in John & Jackie's example any re-radiation which might theoretically occure is taking place back through the very water it's heating

p

So would welcome any ideas about the black paint. Tried bitumen and resin coloured black, both came off within a year. We need something that resists chlorine and salt. Failing this will have to consider using black plastic sheeting......................John not Jackie

PS Am placing order for fence as this seems the cheapest option after alarms. 

John

I can solve your problem by running the water through an array of black plastic tubing. Solar water heaters for pools are very efficient and cost next to nothing to run. The other advantage is that you will not have to paint them at all.

Let me know if you want more details.

Andrew

Hi Andrew and yes have tried experiments using black plastic pipe and it does work though not too impressed by thermal conductivity of plastic. Always interested in any technique though so info on a product would be welcome. PM sent to you as well................John 

This link might be a start to your thinking.

http://www.jepcontrol.com/home/chauffagesolaire.php

There are many ways to do this, however it is possible with good design of this system to get nearly boiling water out the other end. So you can regulate your end temperature with area (m2) and flow speed. Your pool will be warm without contaminating the water with any potentially toxic paint byproducts or more dirt from the environment.

Hope that this is helpful.

Andrew