safety adjustment to walu pool cover

chirpy

I HAVE A 10 X 4.5 METRE POOL WITH ROMAN END AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THE END TAPES WHICH ARE FASTEN WITH A TOGGLE SIMILAR TO THE ONES USED TO TIGHTEN A COVER ON A LORRY COULD BE UNSAFE AND A NEW TYPE SHOULD BE FITTED AT A COST OF 30 EURO EACH. THERE ARE 7 FIXINGS.

HAS ANY ONE USED THESE AND KNOW THEY CONFORM TO NEW REGS.?

I GATHER I MUST NOW CLOSE THE POOL UNLESS AT THE SIDE OF IT OR INSIDE SWIMMING.

WHAT ARE THE NEW LAW ENFORCEMENTS TO BE.?

WILL WE HAVE AN INSPECTION OR A POOL PATROMAN?

IF YOU DO NOT MEET THE LAWS ARE YOU PROSECUTED AND HOW MUCH.

SINCE I HAVE NO CHILDREN OR GRANDCHILDREN UNDER 11 YEARS OF AGE NOR VISITORS  WITH YOUG CHILDREN DO YOU STILL NEED TO MEET THE NEW REQUIREMENTS.?

OR IS THE FINE MADE AFTER A FATALITY IF YOU DID NOT HAVE THE REQUIRED DEFENSES.?.??

Ab

I presume that you are asking about the fixing tapes from a ANFOR Standard Compliant Cover for your swimming pool.

The answer is that ONLY those tapes which were supplied with the cover are conforming to the regulations and any DIY fixing would not.

If your cover is not marked with the ANFOR Standard then you can go ahead and use any old fixings but you are not conforming. Hence you will need to chose another safety devise and install it before Jan 1 2006.

About the regs and thier relevance to you. It is being discussed with full vigure on another forum:

Link:http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7489

But the short answer to your question is that we now know that YES you will be inspected and, if you have no compliant device in place 24 hours of every day then you will be fined which amounts to 45,000 euro per offence. If a child does drown in your pool and you are not compliant then you will be fined, face criminal prosecution and possibly a civil suit from the bereved family.

Its a necessity to address this issue very soon as to leave it for a bit would court disaster in the form of the heafty fine.

Andrew

THE COVER WAS NEW LY INSTALLED WITH POOL IN 2002 AND IS WHEN CLOSED SUITABLE TO TAKE A CHILDS WEIGHT UP TO 8 YEARS OLD.

IT IS AMERICAN COVER.

I ALSO HAVE EXTRA SUPPORTS TO TAKE THE EXCESS WIGHT OF SNOW, WHICH SLOT UNDER MADE OF ALUMINIUM RODS.

THE INSTALLER STATES THE EXISTING TAPESNEED A DIFFERENT FIXINGCALLED WALU CLIQUET WHICH ALLEDGEDLY MEET THE REQUIREMENTS.

LIKE MANY OTHER OWNERS I HAVE A CHOICE OF COVER,ALARM OR FENCES.

WITH A COVER THE PROBLEM IS YOU NEED TO CLOSE IT EACH TIME YOU ARE NOT PRESENT WHICH IS A BIT OF A TASK'

IF AN ALARM IS FITTED THEN WHAT HAPPENS IN WINTER WHEN YOU CLOSE IT ? DO YOU HAVE TO CUT A HOLE IN YOUR COVER TO ALLOW ALARM FITTINGS  OR WHATEVER TO THE PERIMETER OF THE POOL.

I PRESUME YOU DO NOT FIT TO THE WALL AND DRILL THROUGH YOUR LINER.

I FEEL LIKE OTHERS WE HAVE SPENT A LOT OF MONEY TO INSTALL A POOL AND NOW HAVE TO HAVE MORE AND MORE SECURITY.SOMEBODY HAS GOOD CONNECTIONS TO GET THESE LAWS PASSED.

INTERESTED IN ANY OBSERVATIONS.

If its an American Cover then it is almost sure that it does not conform to the standard and it matter very little whether it will take the weight of an elephant. If it is not stamped with the 'Comformatie NF 90- 308" then you may as well not be bother with it unless you will chose a Fence for your complaint security.

If you do fit this cover then you cannot use an immersion alarm as these will not work with a cover in place. When an alarm is fitted then it is secured to your margelles so that it cannot be removed casually.

Andrew

WHAT IS MARGELLES ? DO YOU MEAN THE TILE EDGE OF THE POOL OR THE ADJOINING TERRACE SLABS?

IF ALARM FITTED THEN I SUPPOSE YOU DO NOT COVER IT ALSO IN THE WINTER .

WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF ALARM AND APPROX. FITTED COST?

I HAVE READ SO MANY DIFFERENT STORIES.

WHAT IS MARGELLES ? DO YOU MEAN THE TILE EDGE OF THE POOL OR THE ADJOINING TERRACE SLABS?

IF ALARM FITTED THEN I SUPPOSE YOU DO NOT COVER IT ALSO IN THE WINTER .

WHAT ARE THE TYPES OF ALARM AND APPROX. FITTED COST?

I HAVE READ SO MANY DIFFERENT STORIES.

Yes Margelles are the curvy tiles around the edge of the pool and these would be used to secure the alarm so that it cannot be removed. You cannot use a winter cover in conjunction with this type of security as it relies on pressure waves created by something falling into the pool which would be absorbed by the cover.

So during winter the alarm must function as normally 24/7

There are many different brands one such is the aquaalarm which is less than 600 euro. There are many coming in from other countries but they must go through a rigourous and very expensive testing regime by Laboritiore Nationale Francais before they are approved for use in France.

At any rate remember that these alarms are only providing you with notice that a drowning is in progress. It up to you to act and rescue a child (or animal for that matter) within 1-3 minutes of it falling in. Then you should be skilled in Cardiovascular resuscitation to save the life. Some of the other devices on the market such as covers, fences and abri actually prevent the incident ever occurring. Better by far.

I hope that this has answered your questions. Please contact me if you want to know more.

Andrew

[quote]I HAVE A 10 X 4.5 METRE POOL WITH ROMAN END AND HAVE BEEN TOLD THE END TAPES WHICH ARE FASTEN WITH A TOGGLE SIMILAR TO THE ONES USED TO TIGHTEN A COVER ON A LORRY COULD BE UNSAFE AND A NEW TYPE SHOULD...[/quote]

IF ALARMFITTED THEN YOU WILL HAVE ALL THE LEAVES ETC.OVER THE WINTER PERIOD.

SURELY YOU CAN CUT HOLE IN COVER TO ALLOW ALARM TO PROTUDE AND MEET REQUIREMENTS.

OTHERWISE I HAVE A USELESS COVER.

ALSO WHAT ABOUT THE BUBBLE-COVER I NORMALLY USE IN SUMMER  OVERNIGHT.

SAMEQUESTION CAN I CUT HOLE IN IT?

I ASSUME ALARM IS CHEAPEST ALTENATIVE AND SAVES ALL TIME AND EFFORT OF COVERING POOL EACH DAY UNLESS YOU HAVE ELECTRIC COVER.

IF I AM CORRECT THEN HOW LONG DOES ALARM LASTI.E YEARS ,ANY GUARANTEE ,AND DOES IT NEED A MAINTENANCE THAT CAN BE CARRIED OUT BY ME.OR ARE WE CHANGING WINTERISATION SERVICES WITH ALARM SERVICES.

IF SO WHAT WILL ALL OF THESE COST AS IAM RETIRED WITH SMALL FIXED PENSION.

WITHOUT A COVER I ASSUME THE LINER WILL DETERIOATE QUICKER ALSO.

Hello Lizzie and Ab

I believe that I have covered the questions adequately on this an other threads.

In short, If you choose an alarm to secure your pool then it will not work in conjunction with a cover of any kind. Therefore you will not be compliant.

I suggest that you explore the purchase of an ANFOR compliant security winter cover for your pool which will overcome all of these concerns.

As a side note: most liners have a 20 year guarantee or similar.

Lizzie.

We have been informed officially that the Regional governments are employing a inspector whose duties will include visiting the properties of those who have registered for a permis de construire for piscine. Therefore we now know and so do you that, eventually, if you own a pool then you will be inspected for compliance.

Andrew

actually cover rests on slabs surrounding pool ,about 8inches above water level so not a problem to set off alarm.i would have thought this was belt and braces protection as my cover can support 8 year old.!!!!!!!!!1

await someones technical no -how.