which alarm?

chirpy

WHICH ARE AVAIABLE TO MEET NFP90-307?

WHAT IS EXPECTED LIFETIME? IS A SOLAR ONE WORTH EXTRA 50% IN COST- I ASSUME THE CHEAPER ONE USES A RECHARGEABLE BATTERY.

CAN THESE BE FITTED BY ONESELF OR DO WE NEED AN APPROVED FITTER? ANY INFO AND NAMES/ADDRESSES OF SUPPLIERS  WITH PRACTICAL EXPERIECE TO DATE APPRECIATED AS I WILL HAVE TO GET THIS INSTALLED . 

%  

The cheapest option as far as I know is the Aquasensor Premium, which retails for about 700 euros.  You pay extra for solar power and a remote alarm unit.

The premium uses a normal 9 volt battery which has a life of 2 years according to the manufacturers. So the extra for solar seems not to be worth it.

They are easy to fit, the testing and setting up should take less than an hour, but be warned depending on the size and shape of your pool, you may need tow alarms. As a general rule a 10m x 5m rectangular will need one alarm.

Any reputable pool suppliers should be able to get one for you. there is a French website www.aquasensor.com

We fitted this alarm earlier in the year and it has been fine, unlike the 2004 model which was very unreliable.

Bottom line though is that whilst this alarm does conform, a lot of people prefer the security of a fenced pool, the alarm can take up to 12 seconds to go off, which after getting to the pool may be too late. I did not want a fence so opted for the alarm.

Hope this helps.

thankyou Jim for your information.

can you fit these yourself or do they have to be installed by a company to get the approval certification?

my pool is 10x4.5 metres pluas a 1.5metre roman end so i assume 1 alarm will do.

what are you doing in winter as i am told you cannot use your cover over an alarm-i suppose you will have to put up with more cleaning of leaves etc.

i am rather dis-illusioned with pool installers as they are quick to take your order but not 100% on the ball on several technical requirements.

alan.

Alan,

Yes you can fit them yourself, one then posts of the fiche to the company for registration etc.

With your pool size, one should be enough.

Winter does present a problem with these alarms as to fully comply one must keep it on the the appropriate water level, there has been discussion about this dilemma on this forum before, but I cannot recall the exact posting concerned.

POOLGUY aka Andrew is always very helpful on this subject.

I totally agree with you re some installers, ours were and still are a nightmare, and they were recommended!

Good luck.

Alan

The advice offered by Jim is correct.

If you install an alarm (which you can do by yourself), first it should be an approved device, next you will need to maintain the correct water level at all times; next it must operate 24hr/365d, in short all of the time.

Therefore you may not remove it in winter or cover your pool with even a light cover.

For my money, I don't think that they are worth the hassle, apart from being spectacularly ineffective, its also a noise nuisance when they give a false alarm and add to that the difficulties of an open pool in winter.

After all this if you are still intending to proceed and need help choosing a model PM me with details and I'll be glad to help naturally.

Andrew