Green Pool....

Pontius

We are having problems recovering our small 8m pool to a summer condition having left it all winter.  Have tried chlore shock and also JD Flash, anti algae but 5 days later no change PH is 7.4 Backwashed daily and looks clean.  Pool is 2 years old, do we need to change sand maybe? I understand there is another product better than sand, is that an option? Any advice appreciated.

Thank You

Adrian

Green pool.... algae - not always, it could be something else.

Have you vacuumed

Is there a tree nearby- what kind is it.

What is the active component in 'JD Flash'

Yes you can change the sand to Zeolite and it will make a difference but it will not fix this problem whichn is somthing else.

If you can answer these qestions then we can make a start.

Andrew

Andrew,

Thanks for a quick response. There is no tree nearby though there are a lot of leaves in the pool which we are trying to vacumn out at the moment. I didn't think this would be the cause but maybe it is? JD flash is 35% Hydrogen peroxide. Should the sand be changed? Just coming into our third summer with it.  We might as well replace the sand with Zoelite but none of our local pool shops or Castorama etc stock it? We are near Pau (64)

There in lies the rub!!!!!

Hydrogen peroxide and chlorine do not mix... they are not compatable, the peroxide will mask the chlorine for a long period now as it take months to denature, depending upon the quality and concentration. So you now have 2 choices;

1. you can continue to run a Peroxide pool, - very costly, and extremely harsh chemical regime;

2. Drain beween 50% and 75% of the water and refresh and continue to operate a chlorinated pool.

In conclusion, if you have ' a lot' of leaves in the pool then my first reaction that the green you see is not algae but chloroform from the leaves was correct. Hence, do not attemp to balance a pools chemistry untill you have cleaned the pool of debris. This might sound obvious but I am continually surprised by the number of people asking for help when their pool is chocka blok with rubbish. Hence, I say with proper deportment that the net is the primary tool for all pool managers( to be used frequently and with gusto) to get those leaves and other bits out, then the robot to clean up the dirt. It is only then that we might speak of lofty matters such as pH, ppm alkylinity and such.Which we may do later.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

Gives us something to think about, pool is blue now but maybe all is not well..... Also we don't use chlorine but a product called "Oxygen Active" so not sure of the compatibility but hope we don't need to drain the pool!

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry Pontius

I didn't pick up that you had responded.

Oxygen acticv is Hydrogen peroxide, so NO you do not need to change

water as you are not operating a chlorinated pool. You just need to

contiue to use the peroxide and in fact I am not sure why you needed to

add the Flash at all as its just more of the same.

Andrew